Senior Propulsion Thermal Structural Analyst
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
At Relativity, we re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown. We are seeking a highly talented Senior Thermal Structural Analysis Engineer to help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket. This position will provide outstanding technical leadership in the development of the Aeon 1 propulsion system, as well as helping build a world-class propulsion team. A high degree of autonomy and leadership is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
To support our mission of changing people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown, you will perform detailed thermal/structural analysis of propulsion system components, using finite element analysis (FEA) and hand calculations. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary propulsion team to define thermal environments that meet key engine performance requirements and assess the components to optimize structural integrity, life, and weight. Additionally, you will be instrumental in the design and analysis of all heat exchanging components on the propulsion.
The projects you’ll be responsible for could include the following:
- Stress analysis (linear and non-linear, including plasticity and contacts)
- Thermal analysis (convective heat transfer boundary condition development)
- Regeneratively Cooled Combustion Chamber and Heat Exchanger design
- Dynamic analysis (including transient, harmonic, random vibration, shock, rigid and flexible body dynamics)
- Fatigue, fracture and damage tolerance analysis
- Developing and streamlining thermal and structural analysis methods and best practices
Candidate Profile: (Who is the person we are looking for?)
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience
- Strong understanding of solid mechanics and statics (thermal/mechanical) fundamentals
- Expert in finite element modeling and stress analysis (aerospace preferred)
- Proficient in Ansys, Abaqus, Nastran or similar finite element analysis software (Ansys preferred)
- Experience in thermal analysis modeling and boundary condition development
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and intense startup environment
- Ability to complete projects with ownership of end-to-end solutions and minimal oversight
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 10+ years relevant experience
- Experience with nonlinear finite element analysis: plasticity and creep
- Experience with structural dynamics: rigid and flexible body dynamics
- Familiarity with industry-standard propulsion design and analysis codes (Sinda/Fluint, RTE, etc.)
- Experience with Regeneratively Cooled Combustion Chamber, fluid system, and heat exchanger design and analysis
- Experience with fatigue, fracture and damage tolerance analysis
- Python, Matlab, or Fortran proficiency
- Knowledge of the use of thermal coatings and their applications
- Good understanding and experience working with additive manufacturing techniques
- Experience with ProE/CREO CAD software
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description