Senior Propulsion Components Engineer at Relativity Space
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets. Our competitive edge comes from the cost and lead time advantages afforded by radically simple designs using 3d printed parts. In order to execute on those advantages, we need strong technical leaders to make sure we are making the best use of our capabilities, and strong project managers to make sure we are controlling cost and executing as quickly as we can.
As a Sr. Propulsion Components Engineer, you will provide technical support in the development of the Aeon propulsion system, as well as contributing to a world-class propulsion team. The successful candidate will have demonstrated technical excellence in component design, analysis, testing, and management of component development projects. You will work with propulsion and vehicle system engineers to develop specifications and optimize designs for performance, weight, and cost. As a senior member of the team you will also have a critical role in mentoring and recruiting candidate team members.
The projects you will be responsible for could include any or all of the following:
- Work with the system and vehicle Responsible Engineers to develop component specifications
- Work with vendors on component development and production. Some travel to vendor sites is required.
- Support component level testing such as proof and leak, fluid flow, cryogenic and functional checkouts, both at vendor locations and in-house. Travel to test and launch sites will be required as needed.
- Develop and execute component flight qualification and acceptance test plans (e.g. vibration, shock, thermal cycle, life cycle, burst, etc.)
- Provide technical support for test operations
- Lead component anomaly investigations due to issues at the build, test, or launch sites, driving to root cause and issue resolution
- Manage multiple component projects simultaneously which could include valves, instrumentation, and actuators
- Clean sheet component design through production, working with manufacturing teams to develop in-house production capacity
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion with minimal oversight. This position is ideal for experienced components engineers looking for a role with broad technical authority and responsibility in a small, high-performance team. A high degree of drive, autonomy, and leadership is required. Experience in a fast paced aerospace environment where you have completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups is highly desired.
Required Skills and Competencies
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- 5+ years of experience working on aerospace components such as valves, instrumentation
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering or related field
- Strong understanding of fluid, thermal, and structural fundamentals
- Experience in the design and integration of liquid propulsion components
- Experience with developing and qualifying components for flight
- Experience with CAD software (NX preferred)
- Hands-on experience with testing and data analysis at the component and system levels
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.