Senior Manufacturing Process Engineer, Heat Treat at Relativity Space (Greater LA Area, CA)
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Additive Development team is responsible for developing and maturing the core additive manufacturing technology used to produce Relativity’s orbital class launch vehicles. The Stargate Operations Team is responsible for operationalizing new technology within Relativity’s Stargate class WAAM printers (Wire-Arc-Additive-Manufacturing), demonstrating readiness for production at scale. We are looking for a Manufacturing Process Engineer to develop a robust heat treat process of the largest metal 3D printed parts in the world and then scale it to meet the customer demand for our next generation reusable launch vehicle, Terran R.
What you’ll do:
- Be the process owner of our 67,000 cubic foot volume heat treat air furnace.
- Be the subject matter expert for operation of the furnace.
- Orchestrate part placement and furnace controls to meet requirements from our materials engineering team to further refine existing heat treat recipes and develop brand new processes for developmental parts and materials.
- Responsibility over all heat treat operations of all WAAM components comprising the Terran R primary structure.
- Author, release and sustain SOP's for part loading and unloading, data capture, coupon control and acceptance, and OQE reporting.
- Implement all calibration, maintenance, and quality assurance provisions necessary to meet AMS standards including AMS2750, and AS9100 standards.
- Provide the technical expertise to disposition any production non-conformances related to the heat treat process.
- Work with key stakeholders to identify root cause of heat treat issues and implement corrective actions, driving procedure and business practice updates.
- Own the process monitoring system that tracks and reports the furnace’s health and performance.
- Lead the scheduling and day-to-day production operations of the furnace.
- Develop robust training documentation for the technician team and conduct regular sessions to ensure the team is working safely and getting optimal performance from the furnace.
- Work with the asset management team and furnace OEM to define the routine maintenance requirements.
- Develop strong working relationships with the Engineering, Technician, and Additive Development teams core to the WAAM process.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, materials engineering, or similar.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience building hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- A strong understanding of thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics and a demonstrated ability to apply them to real world problems.
- Extensive experience working with large volume heat treat furnaces.
- Experience with AMS 2750 pyrometry requirements and compliance.
- General understanding of aluminum heat treat metallurgical principles.
- Experience with machine controls and instrumentation.
- Experience collecting and statistically analyzing manufacturing process data.
- Experience interfacing with engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Experience managing a large scope of ownership.
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: metallic heat treat, Lean manufacturing principles, controls, metallurgy, heat transfer and thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, project management, or similar fields.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Hands-on experience operating large heat treat furnaces or similar equipment.
- Experience developing heat treat processes for custom aluminum alloy systems.
- Experience developing manufacturing processes in compliance with AS9100.
- Rigging and lifting experience.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The below-range represents Relativity Space’s current good-faith pay scale for this role. Relativity Space reserves the right to modify or update this range at any time.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace