Senior Launch Mechanical Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity is seeking a highly talented Launch Mechanical Engineer to join our growing team in Los Angeles, CA. This role will play an integral part in designing, building and operating the launch site. As a Launch Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for some of Relativity’s critical launch infrastructure and GSE projects. This role is part of Relativity’s Launch and Infrastructure team, which oversees launch site design & build, launch operations, and new infrastructure projects. This role will report directly to the Director of Launch.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
At Relativity, we are redefining the way rockets are designed, built and flown. Starting with our proprietary and cutting-edge 3D printing technology, we aim to simplify and automate the manufacturing of rockets. This revolutionary approach enables us to make launch vehicles faster and more cost efficiently, allowing us to offer cost-efficient and short lead-time launch services to customers.
As a Launch Mechanical Engineer, you will have a major role in the development, build, and operation of launch site hardware that interfaces directly with the vehicle, ground support equipment, test fixtures and tooling. This role is responsible for the entire life cycle of the projects, from conceptualization to design, prototyping, manufacturing, testing, and implementation.
As a Launch Mechanical Engineer, you will be at the forefront of creating a world class orbital launch site. In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups. Pressure around timelines, cost, and quality unleash the best in you, while finding creative ways to optimize across trade-offs. This role requires the highest attention to detail, while being able to abstract from day-to-day challenges while ensuring alignment on high-level objectives. Excellent judgement and analytical skills are a must, as well as a high degree of professional ethics and integrity. You bring curiosity for our unique technology and our production processes and are eager to develop a next generation launch site.
Day to day, you will be working within our CAD program (NX) as well as performing some FEA (Nastran and/or ANSYS) or hand calculations. You will also be working with the Launch Site Civil & Infrastructure team, various vehicle engineering teams, the test team, and be involved in writing and/or reviewing procedure to test or use the equipment you design, analyze and build. You will also work with in-house and outside fabrication companies to get your parts built.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline (mechanical, aerospace, or equivalent)
- 5+ years of experience in a full cycle design engineering role
- Experience working with AFSPCMAN 91-710
- Experience with various standards, including American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) 360, American Concrete Institute (ACE) 318, and American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1, ASTM, ASME, NASA, DoD, NFPA, API, and SAE
- Experience with CAD (NX, Creo, Solidworks)
- Complex structural analysis capabilities
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- High organizational skills in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to perform and manage technically complex projects using independent judgment and personal initiative
- Recognize and act on opportunities; maintain flexibility to adjust as requirements shift of constraints change
- Ability to create drawings and use GD&T effectively
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- 7+ years’ experience with advanced degree
- Experience Working with DOD, USAF, and NASA
- Experience in the aerospace (rocket) sector
- Extensive experience with NX
- Experience with ANSYS and FEMAP
- Experience with Launch GSE Operations
- Experience with large steel & aluminum structures
- Experience with mechanisms
- Experience checking drawings and reviewing GD&T
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.