Are you self-motivated? Results-driven? Do you want to be on the ground floor of building out a world-class e-commerce experience? Yes?! Then we want to talk to you. Here at FIGS, we are building and growing our fledgling e-commerce platform. We are looking for an exceptional engineer who can help us architect and build out the front-end part of that stack. Our current front-end experience is a server-side rendered Next.js React site built with Typescript, GraphQL, Styled Components, and React 16. We use Shopify to manage our shopping cart and checkout process, and have a mandate to grow on top of and beyond it as we need to. Our backend services are a mix of Typescript on Node and Ruby on Rails. You can of course help contribute to some of them as you need to.
While our base stack is evolving there is still plenty of room for it to grow. Want to introduce react-spring for better animations? Let's debate. Want to implement a PWA architecture to help us cache data client-side? Let's explore. Want to re-write our site’s build process in Haskell? No, we have limits.
Does this sound interesting? Keep reading.What you'll do:
- Work as an engineer on projects with a small team or alone as we grow
- Partner with our Product, Design, and Backend Engineering teams to:
- Define and build out our core theming and reusable component libraries
- Define and help implement core data models that will power our presentation layer APIs
- Build customer-facing front-end applications and features to help our customers better use our site
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience or education.
- 3+ years professionally working on front-end applications.
- Strong computer science fundamentals.
- A preference for TDD-style development over YDD (YOLO driven development).
- A commanding knowledge of HTML, CSS, and building rich user experiences with them. (e.g., What’s the box model?)
- Prior experience with SPA frameworks like React, Vue, Ember, or Angular.
- Experience using Node.js in a production environment.
- Experience working with statically-typed languages like Typescript.
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations.
- Awareness of common web security vulnerabilities and how to avoid them.
- Experience with building and maintaining traditional Shopify sites and experience working on Shopify Apps and Themes.
- Experience setting up CI/CD build processes and pipelines.
- Familiarity with server-side MVC web application frameworks, like Next.js, Ruby on Rails or Django.
- Familiarity with DevOps technologies like Docker, Vagrant, Terraform and Kubernetes.
- Desire to learn: we are not looking for specific experience with our tech stack—just the willingness and sufficient experience (with an equivalent stack) to pick it up fast.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Collaboration: we work in small cross-functional teams and as individual engineers. We are not afraid of challenges and working together to tackle them.
- Positive attitude: we are self-starters who love to solve problems with technologies
- A strong work ethic, with integrity and entrepreneurial mindset.
A little bit about us…
The medical apparel industry is antiquated, highly fragmented and, until FIGS, was driven solely by low-cost providers offering a limited selection of poor quality products sold through third party distributors. FIGS is revolutionizing the medical apparel industry by creating the highest quality medical apparel in the world and by selling directly to medical professionals through our branded ecommerce site.
FIGS’ foundation is built on product quality, and we have a relentless focus on three key areas: fabric, fit and function. We developed our proprietary, performance-oriented fabric technology to meet the demands of the medical profession. FIGS’ Technical Collection fabric is wrinkle resistant, moisture-wicking, lightweight, breathable and offers four-way stretch. Our designs are tailored, sophisticated and innovative, incorporating features such as yoga waistbands, smart storage (pockets, zippers, hidden pockets) and inspirational sayings inside each garment that appeal to modern healthcare professionals.
By offering a branded and customer-centric online shopping experience, we are changing how medical professionals buy their workwear. Through our website, social media, and participation in medical conferences and events, we have built a strong following within the medical community and a meaningful connection with our customers, which allows us to understand their needs and to ensure that FIGS is continuously improving and innovating.
FIGS’ Threads for Threads initiative is central to our mission. FIGS has donated hundreds of thousands of scrubs to healthcare providers in need around the world.