Senior Engineer - React Native at sweetgreen
Over the next few years, we are expanding our restaurant + market footprint, as well as our digital penetration – to meet customers where they are. Aside from improving our customers’ and communities’ relationship with food, we are also changing the way they interact with the restaurants.
Online + app ordering revenue is increasing at a rate of ~50% year over year. Additionally, 44% of in-store payments were processed through the sweetgreen app in 2018. This is an incredible opportunity to join the company as we expand into new markets and new avenues of product delivery. Now is the time to accelerate sweetgreen’s growth, and in the process, radically transform the fast-casual restaurant industry.
Summary: A Senior Engineer - React Native is responsible for building, testing, and debugging/troubleshooting our web, mobile, and experiential applications developed using the React Native framework. They share responsibilities regarding infrastructure and take the lead on continuous integration and deployment, as well as driving standards with Lead Engineers and the rest of the department.
It is expected that a Senior Engineer will promote strong design principles as they relate to scalability, disposable resources, automation, loose coupling, service oriented design, databases, removing single points of failure, cache, cost, and security.
Core Work Activities:
Development: Supports development of features in sweetgreen's products by understanding + translating project requirements, using DRY, SOLID + YAGNI code design principles to write code, review + test code, and troubleshooting open issues + bug-fixes. Calls for and implements continuous integration and deployment in all projects.
Maintenance: Monitors performance of built solutions, documenting issues, escalating complex issues and resolving moderate issues.
Prioritization: Supports multiple stories at once and prioritizes simultaneously to meet critical deadlines.
Agile Methodology: Participates in agile teams supporting company objectives + key results (OKRs).
Minimum Qualifications for Successful Performance:
- Advanced knowledge of React Native and its use in both Android and iOS applications.
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, and Kanban.
- Thorough grasp of best practices across all focus areas in technology (e.g., Client, server, automation, deployment, QA).
- Expert-level knowledge in modern web and mobile development practices, especially those relating to service design.
- Proficiency with AWS’ offering.
- A strong desire to experiment with bleeding edge technology and understand relating market trends.
- Strong problem solving, communication and negotiating skills.
- Strong time management.
- 5+ years developing and leading large-scale technology initiatives.
- A degree in computer science or a related field is preferred.
- Experience building applications and websites for world recognized brands where load and scale have been a focus.
- Design experience with RDS and various databases such as Postgres and MySQL.
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience writing RESTful APIs.
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.