Senior DevOps Engineer at Hallmark Labs
Hallmark Labs is a subsidiary of Hallmark Cards, Inc based in Santa Monica, California.
We currently operate two digital subscription services, Hallmark Movies Now and
Hallmark eCards, as well as ongoing initiatives in personalized, print-on-demand
greeting cards. We are a diverse team of innovators, creators and influencers
leveraging Hallmark’s deep experience in creating meaningful connections and
progressing it into the digital age with cutting-edge technology.
Are you great at what you do and passionate about your work? Are you honest and
Are you a self- motivated, go-getter that likes to have fun?
If so, you are in the right place.
Who we are…
Hallmark Labs (a subsidiary of Hallmark), based in Santa Monica, CA, is currently the parent company of two digital subscription services: Hallmark Movies Now and HallmarkeCards.com. And soon we will be launching our Print-On-Demand iOS App, Out Of The Box. We focus on leveraging Hallmark's experience with creating meaningful connections with great sentiments, but pushing it into the digital age at a rapid pace and with the cutting-edge technology.
Systems management and IaaS automation in building, monitoring, maintaining, and alerting Linux systems in AWS to working with QA to ensure their test automation is running correctly on every commit to GitHub. This job is all about automation, IaaS, and uptime. The responsibilities will include change management, access control, addressing any issues that arise that isn't already automated, and work with the Engineering teams to ensure the solution they're deploying are supportable and scalable to support the growing customer base. We love innovation, and support efforts that provide automated systems for the purpose of 99.99% uptime.
This job involves the following responsibilities:
- Works closely with all infrastructure, engineering and customer service teams to ensure services are available 24 x 7.
- Drive technical innovation and efficiency in infrastructure operations via automation.
- Ensure all systems have required security compliance for patch management and other threat protection.
- Improve infrastructure, deployment and monitoring efforts.
- Dive deep to resolve problems at their root, looking for failure patterns amenable to long-term solutions via simplification and automation.
- Avoid re-inventing the wheel and prefer appropriately simple, repeatable solutions over more complex and failure prone ones.
- Develop appropriate metrics to demonstrate performance at improving operational efficiency.
- Recognize and adopt best practices in documentation, testing, security, operational support at scale, and efficient use of resources.
- Problem solving and troubleshooting including performing root cause analysis for preventative analysis.
- Must be able to support off-hours on-call.
- Ability to identify and gather requirements to help develop a solution.
- Work in collaborative, dynamic team environment and interact at all levels.
- Work under minimal supervision on complex issues to deliver great results on schedule.
- Assist with infrastructure planning and implementation.
- Enforce quality standards through automation and best practices.
- Involved in technical planning and requirements gathering to design the solutions.
- Provide senior level guidance and support to other DevOps Engineers
- Assist Dev and QA teams by participating in stand-ups, building out environments and helping to troubleshoot application issues.
- Perform all other tasks/projects assigned by the Manager, VP, and CTO.
- 3+ years' experience with AWS.
- 3+ years' experience with Linux operating systems and systems administration.
- Held a prior role with responsibility for High Scalability/Availability Systems Architecture, Security, and Production Support.
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 4+ years' experience with managing 24x7 production applications on AWS.
- 4+ years' experience with Linux operating systems and systems administration.
- 3+ years' experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet or Chef.
- 3+ years' experience with Docker.
- Familiar with automation languages such as Ruby, Python, and Go.
- Familiar with continuous integration tools such as Jenkins.
- Experience with ELK, Grafana, Datadog, CloudWatch, and other open source/cloud ready tools.
- Experience writing Infrastructure as Code using tools such as CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Experience with capacity planning, utilization review, and monitoring of availability and performance.
- Operational knowledge of common enterprise switching and routing platforms including Load Balancers and Firewalls.
- Operational knowledge of encryption, storage subsystems, disaster recovery, and other core infrastructure technologies (DNS, HTTP, Routing, Firewalls, Load Balancers, etc.).
- Basic understanding of SQL and NoSQL technologies such as MySQL, MongoDB, Redis.
- Familiar with Agile processes and DevOps manifesto
To be considered an applicant for this position you must show how you meet the basic qualifications of the job in a resume or document you upload, or by completing the work experience and education application fields.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Hallmark Labs will hire only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Employment by Hallmark Labs is contingent upon the signing of the Employment Agreement, completing Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and satisfactory reference and background checks.
This is a progressive role that will be filled at the level based on the skills and experience of the selected candidate.
Excellent medical benefits
401(k) match up to 5%
Life insurance policy for every employee, at no cost
Cell phone and home internet reimbursement
Carpool and parking pass cash-out program
Generous maternity/paternity leave
Employee assistance programs
Fully stocked kitchen with fresh fruit and delicious snacks and beverages
Monthly catered lunches
Soft serve machine 24/7
Great eateries close by, oh, and we’re near the beach!
Massage chairs and bicycles
Onsite free parking
Flexible work hours/work from home
Hallmark Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Principals only please.