About the Company.
Gimbal is a marketing and advertising automation platform powered by physical-world data. Using our own hardware and software, Gimbal enables brands, media agencies, and marketers to deliver relevant messages in order to improve marketing communications and measure the effectiveness of their campaigns. Powered by its always-on location SDK, micro-location BLE beacons, and a complete mobile advertising stack, Gimbal’s suite of tools generates hyper-accurate location data that allows brands to target consumers more effectively and attribute their spend via actions in the physical world.
Gimbal is the most comprehensive location-based software and hardware provider in the country, led by a team of experienced serial entrepreneurs and media industry veterans. We’re headquartered in Los Angeles with satellite offices in New York City, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago, and Columbus.
About the Job.
We're looking for an experienced Sr. Data Engineer to join our team. This position will be working on new development/projects (building and architecting services from scratch) as well as maintenance of existing data pipelines. You will be working with large advertising data sets, transforming data from one place to another and building/improving data pipelines to optimize access for end users.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborating across an agile team to continuously design, iterate, and develop big data systems
- Extracting, transforming, and loading data into internal databases
- Optimizing our new and existing data pipelines for speed and reliability
- Utilizing mobile data to build out research tools for advertising/marketing purposes
- Deploying new products and product improvements
- Documenting and managing multiple repositories of code
Who you are:
- A proactive problem solver — you are constantly looking for ways to work smarter, delivering new efficiencies anywhere an improvement can be made
- A perpetual learner — you know what you don’t know and aren’t afraid to ask questions to fill in the gaps
- A self-starter — you thrive working in small, collaborative teams with the opportunity to continue building your skillset
- A strategic adapter — you’re able to pivot quickly when priorities change and still hit the ground running
What you have:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, preferably working with big data
- Working proficiency with at least one compiling language and scripting language: Java, Scala, Kotlin, Python, Ruby
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Redis, Postgre, MySQL)
- Hands-on experience in data pipelining and ETL (any of these frameworks/tools: AirFlow, Hadoop, BigQuery, RedShift, Athena)
- Solid understanding and experience with OLTP and OLAP systems
- Experience with either AWS or Google Cloud
- Understanding of best practices, common coding patterns and good practices around storing, partitioning, warehousing and indexing of data
- Experience shipping features and fixing bugs in an agile environment
- Experience with unit testing, and test/behavior-driven development
- Understanding of Git and collaboration software
- Prior experience with location tech, location data, or advertising data a plus
Benefits & Perks.
It’s no secret that we work hard, but we also strive to create an office environment where the lines between work and play are blurred. This means we offer these great perks to help keep our team healthy, productive, and happy.
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents, as well as life insurance and disability coverage
- Unlimited paid time off - we trust your discretion
- Opportunities for profit sharing, bonuses, and ownership
- 401(k) plan plus company match
- Cell phone reimbursement and subsidized gym membership
- Annual professional development stipend
- Fully stocked kitchen - snacks, drinks, and catered lunch on Wednesdays
- Dog-friendly office
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. Gimbal is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status