Tinder brings people together. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2 billion swipes per day, 20 million matches per day and a presence in every country on earth, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
At Tinder, we are passionate about building software to bring our growing global user base one swipe closer to a new adventure! We empower all team members to contribute solutions - this is not a top down organization. We feel it is important to learn from one another and grow as a team.
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Tinder, you will have an outsized impact and ownership of the most visible aspects of the Tinder App. We are deeply invested in challenging norms, constantly improving architecture design, exploring emergent tech and ideas, and leveraging new technologies in interesting ways to deliver an app that is widely known the world over.
By applying to this role you will be considered for all Backend roles currently available in our LA, Palo Alto and San Francisco offices. We currently work together remotely and we've adapted our recruiting processes to accommodate virtual interviews with prospective hires.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, develop and operate scalable and resilient distributed services that run on Kubernetes or ECS
- Collaborate with various functional teams across Tinder on the expansion of our service platform
- Influence the team roadmap and product development
- Recruit, encourage, and develop other team members
What You’ll Need:
- 5+ years of industry work experience
- Excellent knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and coding
- Strong designing and building distributed backend systems handling high volumes of traffic
- Experience in handling ambiguous business requirements with excellent prioritization, time management abilities, and a focus on execution
- Passion to tackle exciting engineering problems and make continuous improvements
- Excellent knowledge and experience with a backend language like Java, Node.js, Go, etc.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with cloud computing systems such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in design and development using NoSQL, such as DynamoDB or Cassandra
- Experience with Redis, ElasticSearch, Kafka, and Spark
- Experience with Agile development methodology and CI/CD
- Experience with Docker containers
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
• Working on a product that has an immediate impact on people’s lives all around the world
• Collaborating with a team of creative, fun and driven colleagues
• Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
• Other perks and wellness benefits like a fitness membership subsidy, paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance offerings, and a commuter subsidy
• A robust Learning + Development offering including our MentorMatch program, access to a library of 6,000+ online learning courses through Udemy, and an annual L+D stipend
• Access to mental health resources
• Fertility preservation benefits
• No Meeting Wednesdays and access to a wide range of product and service discounts through Perkspot
• Charitable donations match up to $15,000 annually
• Monthly and weekly interactive virtual events including Book Club, trivia with prizes and yoga workouts
• The opportunity to join six active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our product, and our community. We strive to make our workplace an inclusive and diverse environment, giving people from all walks of life the opportunity to have a voice. We champion and encourage those who bring different perspectives, ideas, and creativity to join our team dedicated to bringing people together across the globe. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome all people regardless of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, or other lived experience.