Senior Aerodynamics & Thermal Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Aerodynamics & Thermal Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position is directly responsible for Aerodynamics design and analysis of the Terran 1 Launch Vehicle. The main responsibility will be to provide expertise in the production of thermal analysis codes and thermal models through all phased of design and post flight validation. This role reports directly to the Director of Vehicle.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change the people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As a senior aerodynamics & thermal engineer, you will develop transient thermal analysis codes and aerodynamics models for full vehicle multiphysics simulations. In addition, you will also define and size vehicle thermal protection systems and support Terran 1 development from preliminary design through post-flight validation.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience.
- Experience in aerodynamic design of subsonic and supersonic vehicles
- Experience in design of thermal protection systems for supersonic vehicles
- Experience with aerodynamics and thermal model development and post flight test data evaluation
- Experience with subsonic and supersonic CFD
- Experience with Matlab, Python, or C++
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience in a flight development program
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description