Senior Additive Development Engineer, Powder Based Additive Manufacturing (Greater LA Area, CA)
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Powder Bed Additive Development team at Relativity Space will develop, create, and operate the most advanced additive manufacturing technologies in the world. This best-in-class team makes sure that the infrastructure, materials, tools, and equipment are in place for us to rapidly iterate and print. The powder-based manufacturing team is crucial to manufacturing Aeon-1 for first launch and to developing and demonstrating groundbreaking technologies, design, and approaches for Aeon-R!
What you’ll do:
As an engineer in our small-scale additive production group you will be responsible for printing the highest thrust to weight ratio rocket engine ever. You will work closely with propulsion engineers to design additive parts that demonstrate new possibilities for AM. You will also work to expand those possibilities by developing processes, techniques, and technologies.
You will understand all aspects of our Laser Powder Bed Fusion (PBF/L-PBF) printing and post processing, depending on this interdisciplinary expertise to produce flight parts from raw powder. You will collaborate with the entire company in parameter development and design for additive manufacturing through to file preparation, post processing, and qualification of flight hardware.
- Serve as subject matter expert for additive manufacturing
- Demonstrate novel additive manufacturing technologies and approaches to enable Aeon R
- Continuously improve the entire organization's approach to additive
- Leverage expertise to inform design for additive and drive printing success and consistency to 100%
- Own all aspects of additive production
- Continuously improve speed, quality, transparency, and responsiveness of additive production
What you need to know:
You're an enthusiastic additive manufacturing engineer excited to apply your skills and knowledge. You love pushing the boundaries of what’s possible and finding innovative and creative solutions. You thrive in collaborative, interdisciplinary environments. You're as comfortable setting up production and quality systems as you are operating a printer, preparing build files, and improving designs. You're ready and excited to balance all these skills to work with minimal supervision and drive hard towards success and continuous improvement.
We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required.
- Demonstrated the ability to define and implement a process from scratch and effectively communicate to a diverse team
- Proficient in at least one CAD program, design for additive manufacturing, and GD&T
- Expert knowledge of laser powder bed fusion, printer primary subsystems, and post-processes
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in Aerospace, Medical Devices, or ISO environments
- Expertise improving and developing metals post-processing and heat treatments. Minimum 1 year’s experience working on relevant projects
- Familiarity with rocket propulsion system concepts
- Expert ability to smoothly interface with engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel. Minimum 2 years’ experience in relevant roles
- Comfort working in and improving a lean production environment
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in relevant roles
- Demonstrated experience managing external vendors and supply chains
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in metal Laser Powder Bed Manufacturing (DMLS, DMLM, SLM, LPBF, etc)
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems (MES) and quality management systems
Nice to haves but not required:
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in Material Science, Materials Engineering, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, or another related field
- Experience designing, implementing and operating digital manufacturing execution systems and processes
- Applied numerical analysis including fluid and structural (CFD, FEA)
- Working knowledge of laser and optical systems
- Experience with data collection and management (eg SQL)
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual Learning & Development stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.