Python Engineer at GumGum
The Python Engineer is part of the Machine Learning Engineering team reporting to the Director of Engineering and works primarily on Reporting and Machine Learning pipelines. The role is responsible for the design of new systems as well as the maintenance of existing pipelines in a scalable and cost-effective manner. These systems include all aspects of the Verity technology stacks including Databricks Spark Streaming, DynamoDB, Java-based web service, AWS, Kafka, Redis in addition to interfacing with Python-based Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing software services.
This role is critical to the success of the Verity product due to its high complexity and scale. The person in this role must be strong in software architecture, data engineering, and AWS.
****Please note we are working from home until September 2021
- System Design - System design and support of Machine Learning technology stacks including Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing
- Scalability and Cost - Design systems with scalability and cost in mind
- Reporting Capabilities - Develop and maintain Verity’s big data infrastructure to support Customer and KPI Reporting using technologies such as Kafka, Airflow, and Spark.
- Data Structure - Become an expert with our complex data structures
- Quality Assurance - Conduct design and code reviews
- Continuous Learning - Keep abreast of developments in the field externally and develop any necessary internal training for the team
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 3+ years of Software Engineering experience (Python)
- Preferably 1 year of Apache Spark Experience
- Experience with large scale distributed real-time systems with tools such as AWS, Spark, Kafka
- Familiar with various AWS services or containers
- Experience with high volume, high availability production systems
- Ability to design highly scalable machine learning systems in the cloud
- Deep knowledge of probability, statistics, and algorithms
- Expert ability to write robust code in Python, Java, or Scala
- Ability to design systems to support large amounts of data providing near-real-time insights to customer usage
- Expert level understanding of complicated data structures
- Great communication skills to communicate with both technical and non-technical cross-functional team members and stakeholders
- Understanding of software architecture, data structures, and data modeling as well as how to strategically plan for key commercial goals
- Enjoy growing and mentoring junior engineers
- Ability to rapidly and effectively change context throughout the day
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Stocked kitchen & Everytable Smartfridge
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
We invite you to learn more about GumGum!
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Verity, GumGum's contextual analysis tool, combines natural language processing with computer vision technology to execute a multi-layered reading process by parsing the body text, headlines, image captions with natural language processing; at the same time, using computer vision to parse the main visuals.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed. Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum
Leaders: How to make priority a self care - featuring GumGum CEO
Contextual Wins - a Message from our CEO
BuiltInLA Best Places to work 2020
Inc. Magazine Best Places to Work 2020
Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
Front Office Sports - Rising 25 members
GumGum x Ad Council Partnership - Love has no labels
GumGum Women in Tech Panel - Living a Balanced Life
Women of GumGum Around the World
GumGum Sports - Sizzle Reel - 2019 (EMEA)