Team and Role Overview
The Propulsion team at Relativity Space is responsible for the design, development, testing, and manufacturing of Relativity’s entirely 3D printed rocket engine, Aeon. As a part of this team, you will help build, create, and iterate on the full product lifecycle of our Aeon engine. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to iterate and support Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing software and robotics technology. This team is critical to the launch success of Terran 1, among many other firsts!
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Our mission is to reimagine the way rockets are built and flown -- as a Propulsion Manager, you will lead the combustion devices team who have complete ownership over the design and development of the main combustion elements, including the main injector, combustion chamber, gas generator, and igniters. You will grow and lead a world class team to design across multiple projects and phases of develop. A high degree of autonomy, leadership and proactiveness is required. In addition to strong technical leadership, this role involves significant mentorship and project management.
The ideal candidate has led propulsion teams in a fast-paced, innovative aerospace environment. You have carried teams through difficult projects and are able to thrive in ambiguity. You are data-driven, take calculated risks, and seek automation opportunities consistently.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in aerospace/mechanical engineering or related field and 5+ years of experience developing propulsion systems and components.
- 2+ years leading an engineering team.
- Experience with propulsion design, testing, integration, and qualification.
- Strong understanding of launch vehicle propulsion systems and components.
- Knowledge of injector and regeneratively-cooled combustion chamber design, analysis, and testing.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 2+ years leading a rocket propulsion engineering team.
- Experience leading small teams in complex engineering projects.
- Experience with powder bed additive manufacturing and automation techniques.
- Familiarity with industry-standard propulsion design and analysis codes.
- Experience developing propulsion system design and analysis codes.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.