Principal Mobile Engineer at Inspire
Inspire’s Technology team is seeking a Principal Mobile Engineer to lead our growing mobile team, responsible for building out our Smart Home platform in addition to a suite of cross-cutting product features. Reporting to the Sr. Director of Engineering, you will lead all mobile development efforts, and will be a key decision-maker in driving high-level architectural and organizational choices. You will be an advocate, and a champion, for best practices across the organization, and will partner closely with Product and Design to build a world-class mobile energy management platform.
THE PRINCIPAL MOBILE ENGINEER HAS FIVE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- React Native Mobile Architecture: Provide technical leadership and vision in the architecture and implementation of the next generation of our mobile platform.
- Leadership: Recruit, manage, and lead a small team of mobile specialists, integrating them into cross-functional squads to drive a unified vision of our mobile app.
- Process and Reliability: Deliver consistent and stable app releases (to Apple App Store and Google Play Store) and the underlying back-end-for-front-end services through quality architecture, automated testing, monitoring, and alerting.
- Smart Home Integrations: Work closely with the Climate team (that builds our iOT and Energy Management) to inform product requirements and direction.
- Web/Mobile Collaboration: Partner with the Lead Web Engineer to create a unified vision for web and mobile development at Inspire that encourages reusability and increases engineering velocity.
SOME EXPECTED 2020 DELIVERABLES
- Learn the existing mobile and web architecture
- Build a technical roadmap for the mobile architecture, and integrate it into the mobile work streams
- Establish rugged code review, pull-request, testing, and deployment processes
- Work in tandem with Product and Design organization to structure the future of the growing mobile organization
- Release frequency (time between releases)
- Release reliability (downtime, errors, bugs)
- Sprint velocity (streamline development and collaboration to deliver more results)
- App performance (load time, cache, user interactions)
- Takes Ownership: Feels deep ownership over tasks and systems, to ensure we build sustainable products
- Is Deeply Empathetic: Puts the customer first, and makes design and engineering choices
- Shows Strong Leadership: Drives technology platform forward, and can mentor and level-up others on the team to build a world-class mobile organization
- Works Collaboratively: Works well cross-functionally with Product, Design, Marketing, Data Science, BD, and others to ensure alignment
- Must Have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar, or equivalent education that provides a strong foundation in computer science (data structures, algorithms, compilers, processors, etc.)
- 4+ years of professional experience building native mobile product (Obj-C, Swift, Java)
- 2+ years of professional experience building product with React Native
- Deep understanding of native SDKs
- Deep familiarity of Google Play and iOS App Store Connect release strategies, and enterprise distribution technologies
- Strong understanding of HTTP, REST, microservice architecture, and distributed computing
- Passionate about technology and interested in solving tough problems
- Nice to Have
- Deep understanding of Smart Home technologies, including but not limited to Google Home and Assistant, Apple HomeKit and SiriKit, Amazon Alexa integrations
- Extensive working knowledge of software architecture, data structures, algorithms, and best practices
- iOS and Android experience
- Experience working in established engineering org (>50 engineers) and have scaled a small team (from ~2 to ~10 engineers)
- Experience implementing state-of-the-art design systems, in collaboration with Product and Design