Powertrain Electronics Engineer
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
- Function as the lead power electronics engineer in developing all new state of the art power electronics and drivetrain for a small personal electric vehicle
- Develop, validate and enhance various power electronic products for electric vehicles
- Be responsible for circuit topology selection, components selection, circuit board layout, control algorithm development, prototyping, testing and validation of power electronics
- Contribute to drivetrain and vehicle level integrations from prototype to production
- Analyze motors on the market, perform tests on materials, testing different solutions and testing complete systems
- Define tests and conduct them at the in-house dyno room, external laboratory houses and perform field testing on test vehicles to validate design functionality
- Provide support to production and assembly during the production of prototypes
- Participate in the design of components, which must be in compliance with automotive industry standards, in terms of EMC, safety, noise, vibration and environment etc.
- CAD modeling in collaboration with other team members
- Participate in the optimization process for prototypes and adapting them for production
- Work closely with mechanical design, manufacturing and supply chain to bring the product into mass production
- Travel domestically and internationally as required
- Experience in power electronics development and manufacturing
- Solid background in power engineering and control
- Knowledge of motor control principles
- Large volume product development experience
- Basic understanding of overall electric vehicle components and functionalities
- Design release engineering experience – including engineering change management and project management experience
- A strong desire to create state-of-the-art engineering products as an integral part of a very capable team
- A flair for creative design engineering and problem solving
- Fluency with 3D CAD. Solidworks Preferred
- Experience in PCB design, using schematic capture and layout tools. Altium preferred
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.
Read Full Job Description