In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department supports passive electro-optical remote sensing payload development and test with modeling and simulation for national space systems. Key activities include concept definition and mission-driven design-synthesis of electro-optical space sensors and high-fidelity modeling and simulation of the performance against mission requirements for both individual electro-optical sensors and constellations of space and ground sensors. This posting is targeted for an electro-optical sensor/constellation analyst with an emphasis on overhead persistent infrared (OPIR) missile warning/tracking.
This position can be filled as an Aerospace Senior Member of Technical Staff or Engineering Specialist
- Provide electro-optical expertise in the areas of Earth remote sensing and OPIR missile warning/tracking
- Provide oversight, guidance and technical advice on customer projects involving remote sensing
- Support the development of new remote sensing concepts with modeling and simulation, including the development of technical performance requirements and in the assessment of proposed designs
- Work with other engineers as a team member to solve multi-disciplinary problems
- Interface frequently with program office and government personnel
- Degree from an accredited university in optics, physics, electrical engineering, or another related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience performing electro-optical sensor, system, and/or phenomenology modeling and simulation, either in the workforce and/or in the pursuit of an advanced degree.
- Demonstrated experience using a common processing language (e.g. MATLAB, Python, IDL, C/C++, Fortran) to implement solutions to problems in remote sensing. Familiarity with the UNIX/LINUX OS environment is preferred.
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills relating to the performance of passive remote sensing electro-optical visible and infrared sensors, especially OPIR systems, and including topics such as: radiometry, radiative transfer modeling, target detection, sensor performance metrics, earth-background infrared signatures, and visible and infrared backgrounds.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force and government customers, and with contractor personnel.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information TS/SCI SSBI security clearance.
Required for consideration as an Engineering Specialist (In Addition)
- A total of 8+ years of experience performing electro-optical sensor, system, and/or phenomenology modeling and simulation, either in the workforce and/or in the pursuit of an advanced degree.
- Demonstrated team leadership experience and mentoring of junior staff.
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family
- Flextime and virtual work options (if applicable)
- 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, regardless of whether you contribute
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.