Mobile Engineering Manager
The Engineering Manager (EM) manages and recruits a team of Mobile Engineers. As a coach and mentor, the EM guides the team towards advancing Tala’s mission and business objectives. As a leader within the Engineering guild, the EM ensure consistent practice of Tala’s engineering processes and standards.
This is a management role within Tala’s management track. You will report to the Head of Engineering and collaborate cross-functionally with all Tala teams.
- Lead and manage current team of Mobile Engineers to execute on current roadmap
- Effectively manage team as a highly technical and hands-on coder when needed
- Recruit, mentor, and level-up 5-10 Engineers
- Review design documents, perform code reviews, and weigh in on implementation choices
- Support and collaborate with cross functional teams (Product, Data, Credit, and Business Development) to ship scalable software solutions
- Continually improve our codebase with clean and efficient code as well as solving problems using the most appropriate technology
- Design and architect technical designs and TDD (Test Driven Development) to solve engineering challenges
- Own, maintain, and extend all existing automation tests (unit, whitebox, and blackbox tests) with acceptable code coverage targets
- Provide guidance for integrations with external partners including user/events tracking, monitoring, and payment/KYC systems integration
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, including hands-on technical management
- 5+ years coding in one or more of the following languages: Java, Kotlin, Swift, Objective-C, Scala, GoLang
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management
- Developed and launched large scale consumer mobile applications with the backend on Cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure) using microservices architecture paradigm
- Working knowledge in REST API development for mobile/web use
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced environment
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related fields
- Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through Tala's smartphone app, which provides instant, personalized credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Tala is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, and Bangalore.