Mobile Engineering Manager
The Engineering Manager (EM) manages and recruits a team of Mobile Engineers. As a coach and mentor, the EM guides the team towards advancing Tala’s mission and business objectives. As a leader within the Engineering guild, the EM ensure consistent practice of Tala’s engineering processes and standards.
This is a management role within Tala’s management track. You will report to the Head of Engineering and collaborate cross-functionally with all Tala teams.
- Lead and manage current team of Mobile Engineers to execute on current roadmap
- Effectively manage team as a highly technical and hands-on coder when needed
- Recruit, mentor, and level-up 5-10 Engineers
- Review design documents, perform code reviews, and weigh in on implementation choices
- Support and collaborate with cross functional teams (Product, Data, Credit, and Business Development) to ship scalable software solutions
- Continually improve our codebase with clean and efficient code as well as solving problems using the most appropriate technology
- Design and architect technical designs and TDD (Test Driven Development) to solve engineering challenges
- Own, maintain, and extend all existing automation tests (unit, whitebox, and blackbox tests) with acceptable code coverage targets
- Provide guidance for integrations with external partners including user/events tracking, monitoring, and payment/KYC systems integration
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, including hands-on technical management
- 5+ years coding in one or more of the following languages: Java, Kotlin, Swift, Objective-C, Scala, GoLang
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management
- Developed and launched large scale consumer mobile applications with the backend on Cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure) using microservices architecture paradigm
- Working knowledge in REST API development for mobile/web use
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced environment
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related fields
- Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning
Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is changing the way credit scoring and financial services work around the world. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.