About This Role
Apeel Sciences is seeking a highly motivated and research-oriented Microbiologist to support our efforts in postharvest crop protection. As part of the Microbiology research team, this individual will assist in the investigation of plant pathogens to gain a more thorough understanding of plant/microbe interactions at the pre- and post-harvest level. These include the molecular and cellular events that underpin host recognition and infection, mechanisms of plant defense, and the sensitivity of pathogenic microbes to various means of intervention.
What You’ll Do
- Work cross-functionally on multiple projects to understand and characterize plant disease
- Employ working knowledge of microbiological principles to conduct experiments and record, interpret, and report on findings
- Molecular and cell-based assay development with emphasis to improve efficiency, to identify new biological compounds and targets, and to incorporate new methodologies/analytical techniques
- Use and develop in vivo assays to characterize the effect of various interventions on plant disease
- Isolate, identify and propagate fungal plant pathogens from relevant produce types using a combination of classic mycology and molecular biology techniques
- Document procedures and results with careful attention to detail; present data in weekly small group meetings
- Regularly communicate experimental results and their broader implications to a variety of audiences including biologists, chemists, engineers, data scientists, and senior company management
What You Bring
- MS degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology or related field with two or more years of industry lab experience
- Relevant professional experience in a clinical microbiology or microbiology research and development setting. Previous work with yeast or filamentous fungi is preferred
- Strong technical proficiency with standard microbiology and molecular biology procedures (DNA extraction, PCR, sequencing) and familiarity with microtiter plate based-assays
- Solid knowledge of statistics, graphing and analysis software (Prism, JMP, or R)
- Organized, methodical and detail-oriented, with demonstrated evidence of thriving in collaborative environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.