Mechanical Engineer (Tooling) at Relativity Space
The Production team at Relativity Space pulls together the efforts of all other vehicle and manufacturing teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. The Mechanical Engineers are responsible for the design and development of tools and equipment that support manufacturing. The Mechanical Engineering team works closely with Additive Development and Manufacturing, turning top-level requirements and concepts into functional detailed designs. The Mechanical Engineering team brings a high level of innovation and ingenuity into the design process, as they are tasked with building out a highly-automated Production facility.
We are looking for driven mechanical engineers to spearhead tooling design and development. You will own the relationship between the engineering development and production teams. The success of Relativity depends on the quality, reliability, cost, manufacturability, throughput, safety, and user experience of the products that you deliver.
What you’ll do:
- Develop high quality development and production tooling for the Terran vehicle and Aeon engine programs
- Spearhead efforts to develop the factory of the future by creating design solutions that support automation and rapid iteration.
- Capable of integrating concepts and principles of mechanical design and analysis of several different projects in a fast-paced environment - projects will vary in size and scale
- Ability to interpret and apply sound design and drafting standards (ASME Y14.5) in creating tooling drawing definitions
- Handle a wide range of technical problems and familiar with all types of material handling, assembly fixtures, off-loaders, rotisseries, test fixtures, structural weldments, environmental chambers, and custom machines
- Close collaboration with component designers, manufacturing engineers, and integration engineering to achieve the best possible cradle to grave metrics (safety, cost, quality, cycle time, delivery, reliability, life, and maintenance/refurbishment)
- Manage projects including vendor selection, fabrication, inspection, equipment installation, and commissioning of tooling
- Set, implement, and maintain schedules and budgets to ensure project completion
- Facilitate effective and collaborative communication by fostering creativity and leveraging team member strengths
- The ability to work in a team environment is a must. All designs are the collective effort of the team
What you need to know:
- A successful candidate will typically have a B.S. degree in any Engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- 4+ years of work or project experience with design, build, and commissioning of tooling and fixtures for manufacturing, assembly and test.
- In addition; or as an alternate to practical experience, 2 + years of collegiate extracurricular engineering project experience (Rocket Team, Formula SAE, Baja, etc.)
- Experience using CAD and FEA-based analysis software (NX and ANSYS Workbench preferred) for structural applications.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with structural analysis including the ability to perform hand calculations
- Strong expertise in design for manufacturability and design for assembly including experience taking products from prototype design to production
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing materials, GD&T, and tolerance/stack-up analysis
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing processes and machines including mills, lathes, welding, sheet-metal bending, lifting/rigging, assembly, inspection, etc.
- Experience with custom machine design: motors, actuators, linear rails/actuators, pneumatics, bearings, etc.
- Experience with Siemens NX and Teamcenter PLM software
- Experience with ANSYS Workbench, FEMAP Pre/Post processing, NASTRAN Solver, NX Advance Simulation, Mechanica, etc.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.