Team and Role Overview
The Production team at Relativity Space pulls together the efforts of all other vehicle and manufacturing teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. The Mechanical Engineers are responsible for the design and development of tools and equipment that support manufacturing. The Mechanical Engineering team works closely with Additive Development and Manufacturing, turning top-level requirements and concepts into functional detailed designs. The Mechanical Engineering team brings a high level of innovation and ingenuity into the design process, as they are tasked with building out a highly-automated Production facility.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
- Translate engineering requirements and concepts into detailed designs and fabricated equipment to support Production.
- Own the development, fabrication, and commissioning of tooling that supports post-processing, trim/drill, mechanical assembly, and joining operations.
- Spearhead efforts to develop the factory of the future by creating design solutions that support automation and rapid iteration.
To be successful in this role, you need to be a self-starter that is able to thrive in ambiguity, identify problems and quickly resolve them, and provide definition to the previously undefined. You should have a commitment to quality and the discipline required to achieve it. You will be a trail blazer for the company, so you need to be self-motivated and able to influence both Engineering and Production in order to effectively implement your plans. You need to be comfortable with design/analysis desk work, while also being ready to get your hands dirty with flight hardware and support equipment.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience designing mechanical structures—ground support equipment or flight/automotive/consumer hardware.
- Extensive experience operating in CAD (preferably NX) and creating assembly drawings.
- Extensive experience project managing a product through its lifecycle—from concept thru design into commissioning.
- Experience interfacing with manufacturing engineers and technicians.
- Proficiency in GD&T.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Master’s degree in mechanical or structural engineering.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a product from minimum requirements and concepts.
- Mechanical design experience with automated systems and integration with robots.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.