Mechanical Design Engineer - Small Satellite at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA)
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Aerospace Corporation's Experiment Lab, xLab, develops prototypes, instruments, pathfinders, and demonstration systems to address our customers' hardest problems at the speed of need. We engage with our customers to conceptualize innovative solutions and deliver impactful products for ground and space and everything in between. We are looking for engineers with a passion for design, a commitment to teamwork and a desire to help xLab make a difference to today's challenges.
The team is currently seeking a Small Satellite Mechanical Design Engineer to support small satellite payloads and spacecraft sub-systems. The position offers the opportunity for a creative individual to innovate in a fast-paced instrument development environment where direct access to and mentoring by senior staff are provided to accelerate the learning process.
This full-time position will be a hybrid work model with some onsite work required in El Segundo, CA.
What You'll Be Doing
- S/he will create detailed mechanical Small Satellite designs with CAD modeling spanning concept design and all phases of the development cycle
- Balance the level of mechanical modeling fidelity and analysis consistent with project requirements and schedule constraints
- You will review Small Satellite mechanical designs and drawings for compliance with mission requirements as well internal design criteria (examples are ease of assembly/disassembly, tolerance specification, and adequate access is provided for mechanism testing in the final assembled configuration)
- You will inspect and fit check of machined parts for tolerance and specification compliance
- Compose and manage bill of materials (BOM)
- Quote and track progress of ordered and fabricated parts
- Testing of mechanical sub-assemblies and fully integrated Small Satellites
- Assesses project requirements, breaks projects into tasks, and works with Project Managers to determine scope of work to meet project schedule milestones
- Driving failure analysis and design of experiments to reach design solutions and corrective actions
This position is available as a Member of Technical Staff or Senior Member of Technical Staff
What You Need to be Successful
Member of Technical Staff
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field or equivalent is required
- (2) or more years of experience in mechanical design in the space or related industry is required
- Experience with CAD design software, SolidWorks preferred
- Configuration management of detailed CAD models
- Seek opportunities to continuously improve Small Satellite mechanical reliability and modularity
- Willingness to occasionally travel and to work off-business hours to support customer needs, approximately 10% (as required, domestic travel)
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Same requirements as a Member of Technical Staff noted above, in addition to:
- (5) or more years of experience in mechanical design in the space or related industry is required
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Member of Technical Staff or Senior Member of Technical Staff
- Advanced degree in a STEM field or equivalent is preferred
- (2) or more years of experience in part design, fabrication, and assembly/integration is highly desirable
- Leading independent projects with interdisciplinary support and limited oversight
- Experience throughout the entire development lifecycle
- Experience with two or more of the following: GD&T, working in a laboratory or production environment, systems engineering, machine shop best practices, integrated TVAC and vibration testing, thermal design, structural design, composites manufacturing, additive manufacturing, agile tools (JIRA, Confluence, etc.) is preferred
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$71,000 - $94,300 - $127,200
Pay Basis: Annual
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.