Team and Role Overview
At Relativity, we re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown. The Materials and Processes Team plays a crucial role in this mission by evaluating and improving the materials that make our vehicle. We are searching for a Materials Engineering Lab Manager who will be responsible for managing the activities and expansion of Relativity’s Materials Characterization lab. A high degree of self-motivation, organization skills and attention to detail is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Your main objective will be to successfully implement materials characterization techniques and processes to support test programs across the company. Relativity Space is focused on 3D printing rockets and associated hardware with the ultimate goal of 3D printing a rocket on Mars. The Materials Team is a key contributor to the Relativity Space mission by designing, understanding, and developing our materials. Managing large projects from conception to completion is a key objective to attaining our goals.
The ideal candidate will be an outgoing individual with a self-starter attitude. A successful Materials Engineering Lab Manager at Relativity Space will have excellent communication skills and the ability to work with internal and external customers/suppliers to support company needs. Having worked with metallography equipment and experience with metallurgical processes is desired. The ideal candidate should have an excellent understanding of metallographic preparation, microstructure of materials, microscopy. The candidate also should be strong in organization and documentation.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science or chemical engineering, or a related field.
- 5+ years industry experience or equivalent.
- Familiarity with software for documentation of test data (MS Office, OneDrive and SharePoint).
- Experience supervising activities materials characterization laboratories.
- Experience with metallographic techniques and equipment (mounting + polishing, etching, sample preparation, hardness, etc.).
- Experience with microscopy techniques and equipment (optical, SEM/EDS, metallographic, etc.).
- Experience with mechanical testing (tensile, fatigue, compression, bearing strength).
- Experience with thermal materials characterization.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Master’s degree in materials science or chemical engineering, or a related field.
- Prior experience taking ownership of high capital equipment, particularly in purchasing and install.
- Experience characterizing aerospace alloys (aluminum, steel, superalloys, etc.).
- Experience characterizing additive manufacturing materials and parts.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.