Manager of Vehicle Engineering at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity is building humanity’s multiplanetary future. We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket. We are looking for a Manager of Vehicle Engineering to lead our vehicle development using modern systems engineering, mission design, and performance analysis. To match the rapid iteration capabilities that Reality’s 3D printing enables, our engineering must be equally automated, efficient, and customizable. This is an exciting, multi-faceted role because you will be working in a startup environment helping us meet our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket, with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To help Relativity achieve our mission you and the team will focus on the following:
- Employ first principles and simulation to answer systems-level questions.
- Build and lead smart engineering processes that enable fast development.
- Mission design and performance evaluation.
- Flight safety analysis and other regulatory deliverables.
- Collaborate across the company to solve problems.
The ideal candidate is someone with experience across many disciplines within a fast-paced launch vehicle development environment. Leadership and vision are fundamental to building a systems engineering and simulation ecosystem that is as innovative as our 3D printing software and robotics. Other essential skills include a data driven approach, solid engineering judgment, and team building.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience.
- 3+ years leading an engineering team.
- Demonstrated contribution to the full lifecycle of an aerospace project.
- Domain knowledge of mission design, performance evaluation, guidance, navigation and control (GN&C).
- Experience with modern applications of systems engineering including requirements, hazard analyses, fault architecture, risk mitigation, interface control, and validation.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience with software development.
- Experience leading regulatory compliance and interfacing with federal range safety or the FAA.
- Experience as a leader in a startup or agile development environment.
- Experience leading a flight development or operations program.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.