Manager, Software Engineering at NBCUniversal (Remote)
We create world-class content, which we distribute across our portfolio of film, television, and streaming, and bring to life through our theme parks and consumer experiences. We own and operate leading entertainment and news brands, including NBC, NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC Sports, Telemundo, NBC Local Stations, Bravo, USA Network, and Peacock, our premium ad-supported streaming service. We produce and distribute premier filmed entertainment and programming through Universal Filmed Entertainment Group and Universal Studio Group, and have world-renowned theme parks and attractions through Universal Destinations & Experiences. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, coupled with our Corporate Social Responsibility work, is informed by our employees, audiences, park guests and the communities in which we live. We strive to foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. Together, we'll continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world.
Are you both engineering and customer-obsessed? We are seeking an Engineering Manager to lead and manage initiatives within our custom application engineering team. You're right for this role if you have experience driving to increase levels of reliability, automation, and customer satisfaction. Your technical expertise working among software delivery teams using modern development tools and public cloud platforms will help you mentor, guide, and grow the skills of the team.
As a member of NBCUniversal Engineering's Platform Development & Engineering Experience organization, you will be part of a new effort to define how the organization builds custom applications on the cloud. This is a unique role in that it can touch every NBCUniversal business, both creative and operational, creating applications that redefine how we do business.
- Leading the planning, implementation and communication of new engineering and product practices.
- Driving metrics standardization, gathering, and automation. Analyze and report resulting metrics and adjust the overall team strategy accordingly with engineering leadership; define the value and return of an application
- Analyzing customer needs and develop engineering team roadmap and backlog based on organization goals and customer impact
- Establishing productive relationships with internal Cloud, Architecture, Cyber Security, and Business Engagement teams to ensure the organization can deliver software on time on the most appropriate technology available.
- Defining and manage projects and products that improve our software products' consistency, reliability, and security.
- Participating in budgeting and proposal efforts by completing project scoping, cost-benefit analyses, and level of effort assessments.
- Managing budgets and monthly pacing
- Actively participating in hiring the best talent for the Engineering team to create a high functioning, collaborative, and fun team
- Coaching and mentoring engineers on the team and assist in their professional development
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience and 3+ years of experience leading and managing technical/IT teams and projects
- Demonstrated technical leadership with good business judgment to make the right technology choices.
- Demonstrated ability to build teams and produce engineering products in a complex corporate structure
- Deep understanding of the product, engineering, and test roles & responsibilities that make up a software delivery team
- Familiarity with cloud-native development, scrum processes, and modern DevOps practices and serverless, event-driven architecture, technologies and services (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Sharp eye for quality team contribution; ability to assess team member's work products
- Can set disparate data streams and distill them into meaningful and ultimately actionable recommendations
- Able to easily transition between high-level strategy and day-to-day implementation
- Self-directed, ability to multi-task, sharp analytical skills, excellent communication skills, capable of working effectively in a dynamic environment
- Excellent written / verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Leadership, teambuilding, and mentoring skills
- Results-oriented and self-motivated
- Software engineering experience as a product manager, engineer, or manager
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field preferred
- Able to communicate effectively in a diverse team of varying skill sets and proficiencies. Able to lead and instruct or take direction when appropriate. Effective in-person, written, and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in large, multifaceted, and matrixed organizations
- Experience within the media entertainment industry
- Collaborative team player accustomed to working within and across groups
- Organized and detail-oriented with an ability to manage time effectively
- Ability to translate business process needs into precise technical requirements
- Ability to influence internal and external team members without direct reporting authority
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relate complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong character exhibiting company core values: Integrity, Creativity, Teamwork, Pioneering Spirit, Ownership
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $135,000 - $180,000 (bonus eligible)
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.