Manager of Quality at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
The Manager of Quality will be responsible for leading the team that assures the quality of Relativity’s hardware and defines the processes to do so. You will be responsible for architecting how we do quality and reliability at Relativity—from system-level design integrity to as-built vehicle verification. You will have the opportunity to set the tone for Quality at Relativity by building the inaugural team, defining the processes, and establishing interdepartmental relationships needed to accomplish that goal. The Manager will play a critical role in both the introduction and scaling of Relativity’s launch vehicle production. This is a unique opportunity to define Quality for an entirely new production process of additive manufacturing. We are seeking a highly-motivated individual to lead the front on producing the industry’s highest quality 3D-printed parts.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
- Define Relativity’s design and build reliability program. Build the company’s team of Quality Engineers and Inspectors. Lay the foundation for how hardware gets screened and processed at Relativity. Ownership will include the following:
- Design: drawing standardization, DFM, and configuration management and control.
- Build: receiving inspection, in-process build verification, standard rework/repair documentation, CMM, containments, etc.
- Program: issue ticket system ownership, as-built verification, root cause/corrective action, etc.
- Drive initiatives to support the efficient and high-quality build of our first vehicle. Some projects may include: commissioning our Quality Inspection workcenter, developing process controls to enable simplified inspections, or creating build walk down checklists.
- Establish inaugural QA workcenters, including receiving inspection, defect cages, metrology rooms, etc.
- Develop strong working relationships with Engineering, Additive, Production, and Launch teams to ensure all company objectives can be met.
- Accountable for both the strategic and tactical vision for Quality. Architect Relativity’s Quality roadmap and execute on defined deliverables.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience building and/or testing hardware in a manufacturing environment, preferably in a quality function.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience leading or managing a team of engineers and/or inspectors.
- Extensive experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- In-depth knowledge of configuration management, manufacturing methods, and process quality controls.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Successfully led initial AS9100 certification for an aerospace program.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Well-versed in process development and first-time quality efforts.
- Highly organized and able to provide structure and direction to the previously undefined.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- Self-aware and able to influence others outside of your organization.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.