Manager I, EMC at Virgin Hyperloop
To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
We are seeking an experienced Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Engineer to join our System Integration and Analysis team. The EMC Engineer will be the technical focal and expert for all EMC related issues at VH. This includes responsibility for EMC standards, requirements, strategies and approaches, and system level design, prototype, and testing. This is a leadership position, both building a leading a small team of dedicated EMC engineers, and in advocating EMC priorities and needs across the company.
The System Integration and Analysis engineering group at VH is a central team of engineering specialists that support projects across all the VH system. The members of the team are deployed within the system and sub-system teams across the company, using their expertise to support development. The team is also responsible for creation and enforcement of the company wide standards and processes for their disciplines.
- Create and develop Virgin Hyperloop system EMC design while ensuring processes match global procedures and use state-of-the-art tools and approaches
- When needed, develop novel, advanced model approaches that are considered state of the art by EMC specialists
- Conduct reviews and analysis for EMC compatibility, including running trade studies on issues of high importance
- Lead system level EMC testing: Initiate test plans and prepare reports of EMC testing, showing assembly compatibility or incompatibility.
- Track status of assemblies and sub-assemblies for which are proven to be compatible and which are known to have or potentially have compatibility issues
- Create and own verification and validation (V&V) plans and risk mitigation plans that have significant impact to the system.
- Develop Certification strategy including standards definition for VH
- Communicate status updates in both technical and non-technical form to keep others current on project status.
- Define, coordinate, and integrate EMC technical and program issues to ensure that total system requirements are met
- Act as the point person for planning, and negotiating the EMC program/project with third party consulting
- Build and mentor a team of EMC engineers, and coordinate efforts across that team
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related technical discipline with extensive industry experience
- Ability to use state of the art software tools in support of EMC testing and analyses.
- Proven ability to provide quality technical risk assessments for resolutions of EMC related problems or failure
- Expert knowledge of national and international EMC standards, such as DO-160 or equivalent from other industries.
- Expertise within the following areas:
- EMC analysis and testing
- Design of hardware to mitigate EMC problems
- Application and development of advanced principles, theories and concepts in EMC testing and analysis for assemblies, subsystems and system level
NICE TO HAVE
- Master's degree or Ph.D in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related technical discipline with significant industry experience
- Experience leading EMC programs at a system level
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
- Our Benefits: medical (including infertility & mental health), dental, vision, life, FSA, HSA, 401k, and more
- Your Wellbeing: flexible work schedules, unlimited PTO, and 16 weeks of paid parental leave