Manager, Engineering (Back End) - Media Product & Engineering at Leaf Group
We are looking for a Manager, Engineering who is dedicated, results-oriented, and a tenacious problem-solver to join our Media Engineering team at our Santa Monica, CA office. With over 100 million unique visitors per month, our success is based in the stability of our products’ performance, usability, and user experience. As part of our Media Engineering team, you will help provide the technical foundation to make this happen.
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach passionate audiences in large and growing lifestyle categories. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of art, design and technology. We want people with an intense curiosity, a commitment to high quality service, who embrace the fun of the journey. Come help us disrupt and transform the digital media and art world!
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We encourage all of our employees to learn and grow personally and professionally so they can assume greater responsibilities and advance their careers within the department or within one of our operating businesses. Check us out here: https://www.leafgroup.com/brands/
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Manager, Engineering grows with us.
You’ll Report To: Senior Director, Engineering
A typical day as a Manager, Engineering might include:
- Collaborating with other members of the engineering team to build robust, reusable, and maintainable code to support and grow our brands
- Developing and maintaining our ever growing RESTful APIs/Microservices ecosystem
- Managing and developing a team of highly motivated, result-oriented individuals through effective leadership practices (4 back end engineers, 1 offshore engineer)
- Creating an inspiring team environment that encourages open communication, creativity, and collaboration
- Reporting on performance metrics and presenting to senior leaders
- Discover training needs and provide coaching
- Working closely with Product, Marketing, Operations, and QA teams
- You’ll be successful if you are a Node.js engineer who specializes in building scalable applications.
What You Have:
- Minimum of 5 years’ coding experience, including developing in an ES6, Node.js environment
- Minimum of 1-2 years' working experience in a managerial capacity, including building and maintaining team culture, as well as motivating and growing talent
- Experience with architecting scalable infrastructure and systems
- Ability to collaborate with others in problem solving and feature development
- Ability to see a project come full circle in a timely manner
- Designed, built, and maintained RESTful APIs for use in production
- Experience with Docker and Container Orchestration (Kubernetes)
- Worked with MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Cache Services (Akamai, Varnish, etc.), and Messaging Queues (RabbitMQ)
- Used APMs to analyze and optimize application performance
- TDD/BDD as part of your software development process
- Comfortable with Git, Code Reviews, Jira, and Jenkins
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats - no job being too small or too large
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. A pleasant and supportive demeanor goes a long way.
What We Have:
- BuiltIn LA's 2019 Best Companies to Work For in Los Angeles
- Comparably's 2018 Top Companies to Work for in Los Angeles
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Cool office environment and culture
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.