Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
Relativity’s Flight Sciences team is responsible for ensuring that our rockets will work. As a Loads and Dynamics Engineer, you will have a hand in all Structural Dynamics aspects of designing, testing, and launching the Terran 1 and future launch vehicles.
You will work collaboratively with the structures, additive, propulsion, avionics, fluids, and test teams to deliver dynamics analysis and test projects on time and budget, while meeting our technical requirements. You will also have the opportunity to learn advanced analysis tools and methodologies that the Dynamics team uses to model and analyze Relativity’s launch vehicles. A high degree of autonomy along with an ability to prioritize work in our fast paced environment is desired.
What you’ll do:
You will play a key role in driving the Terran 1 launch vehicle to first flight, developing initial architecture for the upcoming Terran R vehicle, and re-thinking launch vehicle systems around large-scale 3D printing. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary vehicle engineering team to deliver world-class insight in the area of Loads and Dynamic.
Here are some examples of what you could be working on:
- Support Dynamics analysis needs within Relativity, helping to disposition loads and dynamics issues across the company
- Architect Terran 1 dynamic systems like stage separation, payload fairing separation, and payload dynamic environmental conditioning in collaboration with peer technical teams
- Build, execute, and validate Coupled Loads Analyses (CLA) at the system and vehicle level, including relevant tool development and automation
- Support design and development engineers in the successful application of vehicle and component loads to achieve system and component requirements
- Develop and execute tests to support dynamic systems development and qualification, including hands-on work like test article integration, instrumentation setup, data processing, and model validation
- Build internal capability to develop and communicate loads, including custom toolsets, commercial code, databases, and data processing tools
- Help the Vehicle Engineering team grow in size, capability, and speed to support our goal of building a rocket in 60 days
In order to be successful in this role, you should be self-motivated, adaptable and able to deliver in a fast-paced, integrated vehicle program. You should also be able to resolve ambiguity and drive tasks to completion. Ideally, you have a command of structural dynamics fundamentals as well as a proven track record completing projects successfully in collaborative environments. This position is ideal for engineers looking to make a direct impact on a variety of mission-critical systems and processes.
On a weekly basis, you will be performing analysis, supporting design teams, supporting testing, and processing data. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly manage the documentation and communication of your actions, recommendations, and decisions.
What you need to know:
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field, including relevant coursework in linear and non-linear dynamics, and vibration
- Strong fundamental knowledge in the fields of Structural Dynamics and Loads analysis
- Hands-on experience with testing, instrumentation, and data analysis
- Familiarity with vehicle design processes from concept generation to verification, validation and operation
- Fundamental knowledge of engineering scripting languages like MATLAB or Python, including object-oriented programming
Nice to haves but not required:
- A graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 3+ years relevant experience
- Experience in an analysis role from concept through V&V on integrated vehicle program
- Experience solving complex problems on integrated vehicles Experience developing analysis toolsets and workflows using custom and commercial software
- Experience with launch vehicle Coupled Load Analysis (CLA)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!