Lead Tooling Design Engineer at Virgin Hyperloop
To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
As the Lead Tooling Designer on our Manufacturing Process Development team, you will be responsible for defining how hyperloop sub-systems are produced from early prototyping to mass production. You will work closely with Process Development Engineers to develop and implement robust manufacturing tooling related to manufacturing and installation. As a Lead, you will be responsible for managing and mentoring the team of Tooling Engineers.
The Lead Tooling Designer will be responsible for managing a team to design and build tooling for a wide variety of projects for development, test, manufacturing, and installation. The Lead Tooling Designer is an integral member of the Manufacturing Process Development department and will directly work with engineers, vendors, and technicians.
- Solve difficult and complex engineering problems collaboratively with limited supervision alongside the Manufacturing Manager
- Lead a team of tool designers. Oversee tooling projects for the team, manage workloads, and mentor team members.
- Work with internal customers to define requirements and design needs.
- Design and build of tooling such as molds, press tooling, sheet metal tooling, die casting dies, forging dies, rubber and plastic extrusion dies, jigs, and fixtures
- Build and test of prototype tooling, soft tooling, and hard tooling.
- Manage and coordinate outside tooling vendors for timely delivery of projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years as a Tool Designer
- Experience working in a leadership position
- Demonstrated talent and track record as a tool designer
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance practices
- Knowledge of fundamental engineering analysis tools such as hand calculations or simulations
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques and methodologies
- Proficient in 3D model generation, component, and assembly print generation
- BS or higher in engineering field
- 2+ years in a leadership or management position
- Experience managing direct reports
- Experience using Siemens Unigraphics NX 8 or higher
- Experience using PLM / PDM software such as Teamcenter
- Machine design and machine integration experience
- Machine shop experience
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Designing press tooling, sheet metal tooling, and stamping tooling for metal parts
- Designing fixturing and hard tooling for manufacturing
- Designing tooling for plastics, composites, and ceramics
- Designing tool for large scale components
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
- Our Benefits: medical (including infertility & mental health), dental, vision, life, FSA, HSA, 401k, and more
- Your Wellbeing: flexible work schedules, unlimited PTO, and 16 weeks of paid parental leave