THE TEAM & PURPOSE:
- The Virgin Hyperloop One Pod team is responsible for designing and delivering the hyperloop passenger vehicle. The Pod team has primary ownership of the vehicle’s structures, thermal management systems, interiors, and environmental control and life support systems. We’re a multidisciplinary, cross-functional team that designs and integrates numerous systems across the pod.
- The Pod Thermal Management Team is responsible for providing the system that collects and rejects all thermal energy from the heat-producing components on the vehicle. This system consists of the primary heat rejection devices as well as the coolant distribution throughout the vehicle.
- Full ownership of the mechanical and thermal design of complex sub-systems within the thermal management system
- Design of the fluid coolant network and thermal components, including heat exchangers, pumps, routing, valves, and our primary heat rejection device
- Create novel solutions to meet demanding performance requirements
- Collaborate with all pod-based subsystems to support their heat rejection needs and integration into the thermal management system
- Create and maintain CAD models of components and assemblies
- Develop team guidelines, processes and best practices to ensure consistent, high-quality engineering design in all products, leverage industry best practices
- Strong intuition and knowledge within thermal system designs, from first principles concepts through design of production hardware
- Ability to thrive in a technically uncertain environment
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced engineering environment, make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- S. or M.S. in Mechanical, Aerospace, or related engineering field
- Experience designing, testing, or building a thermal management component or system
- Flow network hardware and control experience within an aerospace, automotive, or electric vehicle application
- Understanding of thermal modelling at various levels of fidelity (1-D reduced order component models, thermal networks, 2-D and 3-D thermal FEA)
- Experience with validation and verification of thermal systems using laboratory and in-field testing
- Experience with vacuum environment cooling (satellite, manned spacecraft, etc.)
- Experience with high-voltage battery cooling for electric vehicle or energy storage applications
- Experience with the design and implementation of a production-level multi-component thermal management system and associated thermal limitations
- Familiarity or experience with multi-phase thermal management technologies (heat pipes, pumped two-phase, vapor compression heat pumps, phase change materials)
- Experience designing and building test rigs and initial product builds, including pumps, flow control devices, and heat exchangers
- Familiarity with thermal system modelling software (Simulink SimScape, Kuli, GT-Suite, or similar)
- Experience with thermal energy storage or industrial refrigeration equipment
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description