Lead Software Engineer (Los Angeles) at sweetgreen
Lead Engineer - Digital Ordering
Who We Are
At sweetgreen, a Lead Software Engineer is more than an architect. They are trusted squad members that heavily influence the design and implementation of new services while also integrating with and upgrading existing ones to address mission-critical problems. Working closely with Software Engineering Managers and Principals, they champion architectural decisions that facilitate the work of their teams and our business as a whole.
Success depends on balancing their schedules to implement their designs alongside their peers as hands-on senior contributors.
Top Goal - Within one year develop a complete in-house system for the Digital Ordering Domain (DOD), enabling sweetgreen to remove a critical vendor dependency. This needs to be implemented in a sequence of logical steps addressing these major challenges as part of the process: security, scalability, compatibility, and incrementality.
- Map the Existing System: A satisfying customer experience is dependent on many cloud services at sweetgreen. In your first two weeks, you’ll have developed a deep understanding of our systems, from new customer onboarding to order tracking, by reviewing the existing system design and documentation. By day 21, you will have contributed to those areas that need additional documentation, in both Confluence and elsewhere.
- Collaboratively Design and Evaluate Alternatives: Within 30 days, conduct a high-level end-to-end system analysis. Work with Product to understand the integration requirements of the new service. Review, revise, and draft technical design documents (TDDs) that propose incremental solutions and work with other Lead Engineers and Software Engineering Managers to conduct trade-off analysis with a specific focus on scalability and sustainability.
- Present Your Solution: By 45 days in seat, you will have defined security measures, cost analysis, performance targets, and the client interface for the new service. You will have presented updated TDD(s) to the other Lead Engineers and Software Engineering Managers for feedback for feasibility, scalability, and implications for how your solution would interface with existing systems and secure consensus to implement.
- Lead the Technical Implementation: By day 90, you will spend 50-75% of your time leading the technical production of the solutions with our team of engineers and personally building APIs for your solution. The primary focus of your technical development efforts will be to assume ownership over and expand the capabilities of our ordering platform. Your work will include presenting your own pull requests and reviewing others. In partnership with Product and Technical Program Management you’ll hold yourself accountable to the dates that you committed to, completing feature work in your first sprint.
- Documentation: In order to ease future teammate onboarding, debugging, and knowledge sharing of complex services while mitigating the risk of tribal knowledge, within 30 days in seat, you’ll contribute to our established information architecture within Confluence and put a plan in place to realize 100% documentation of the systems you own.
- Monitoring System Health: By day 90, you will have a plan in place to implement missing or leverage existing telemetry and testing, through CI/CD, so you can report on the health of sg services, triage bugs, and limit regression.
- Raise The Bar: Being customer-obsessed at sweetgreen means constantly looking to improve the ways in which we serve our internal teams and external guests. You’ll own your domain’s evolving on-call practices to improve the experience of both customers who report issues and the engineers who work to resolve them.
- Leading technical architecture
- Experience leading code reviews, collaborating with product management on roadmap
- Knowledge and experience with AGILE methodology.
- Experience consuming RESTful APIs.
- Experience deploying website A/B testing or personalization
- Strong understanding of best practices relating to frontend architecture
- A strong desire to experiment with bleeding edge technology and understand relating market trends.
- Strong problem solving, communication, and creative skills.
- Strong time management.
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
At sweetgreen we are focused on building a great experience for our customers and we look to constantly enhance that through empowerment of our teams to build innovative solutions. We believe that it’s a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of what an Engineer is or does, and depending on where you’re coming from things might look a little different.
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.