Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Components Manufacturing team at Relativity Space is responsible for manufacturing and testing turbopumps, valves, and dynamics components for both the Propulsion Engines and Vehicle. This position will provide outstanding contribution to the development of the Terran 1 and Terran R launch vehicles, as well as helping to build a world-class team. As a Lead Manufacturing Engineer, you will own and develop the processes for building and testing the Propulsion engine and Vehicle valves. You will become the main point-of-contact between the production and engineering teams as we scale our throughput from development to production quantities over the next year.
What you’ll do:
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to propulsion and vehicle components. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups. More specifically, we are looking for:
- Someone who can work with design engineers to ensure our valves and turbomachinery meet all aspects of the intended design, with a focus towards manufacturability and integration.
- Someone who can develop production processes and procedures for component assembly and recommend design adaptations to increase throughput.
- Someone with experience testing hardware in extreme environments, including cryogenic temperatures and high vibration.
Someone who can collaborate closely with design engineers, machine shops, and 3D print vendors to streamline manufacturing of components.
- Someone who understands CNC machining and dimensional inspection and can work with stakeholders to minimize processing times of precision-machined hardware.
- Someone with experience building strong teams and leading projects, directly and cross-functionally.
- Someone with experience setting up internal manufacturing capabilities including conducting make vs buy analyses, equipment selection and setup, factory planning, and establishing processes and procedures for production.
What you need to know:
- Degree in engineering or related technical field
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a NPI manufacturing environment
- 1+ years of leadership experience, either in a direct supervisory function or of an integrated technical product.
- Knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stack-up analysis
- Strong communication skills and ability to write work instructions and process plans
- Experience with component testing including shock and vibration.
- Ability to work with and train technicians
- Ability to apply value stream mapping to optimize a production process using both internal resources and external suppliers
- Knowledge of machining (5-axis, 3 axis, lathe) and associated inspection techniques
- Knowledge of valve assembly procedures, including press fits, clearance checks, structural proofing, and leak checks
- Hands on experience using hand tools on a shop floor
Nice to haves but not required:
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a NPI manufacturing environment
- 2+ years of experience directly leading a team of engineers
- Experience working in a startup or agile manufacturing development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems
- Familiarity with powder-bed additive manufacturing
- Experience with flight termination system testing for propulsion valves
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.