Team and Role Overview
At Relativity, we re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown. The Materials and Processes Team plays a crucial role in this mission by evaluating and improving the materials that make our vehicle. We are searching for a Lead Materials and Processes Engineer who will be responsible for developing manufacturing systems and technologies to build our AM factory of the future. A high degree of self-motivation, organization skills and attention to detail is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Your main objective will be to successfully implement new AM processes and materials to push new products forward across the company. Relativity Space is focused on 3D printing rockets and associated hardware with the ultimate goal of 3D printing a rocket on Mars. The Materials Team is a key contributor to the Relativity Space mission by designing, understanding, and developing our materials. Managing large projects from conception to completion is a key objective to attaining our goals.
The ideal candidate will be an outgoing individual with a self-starter attitude. A successful Lead Materials and Processes Engineer at Relativity Space will have excellent communication skills and the ability to work with internal and external customers/suppliers to support company needs. Having worked with mechanical testing equipment and experience with metallurgical processes is desired. The ideal candidate should have an excellent understanding of mechanical testing, strength of metals, and metallography preparation. The candidate also should be strong in organization and documentation.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science or materials engineering, or a related field preferred.
- 7+ years industry experience or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining large-scale manufacturing systems and processes, especially for metallic products.
- Demonstrated experience working with large teams in a manufacturing setting.
- Familiarity with aerospace manufacturing systems and processes, and relevant specifications.
- Experience with materials characterization laboratories and techniques.
- Experience with aerospace metallic materials (nickel alloys, copper, aluminum, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience managing or supervising teams.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Masters or PhD. in materials science or materials engineering, or a related field preferred.
- Prior experience with additive manufacturing technologies, especially metal AM technologies.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.