Lead Launch Engineer: Fluids/Mechanical
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
At Relativity, we revolutionize the way rockets are built and flown. We are redefining design, manufacturing and operational processes, to create the first true 21st-century aerospace company. We are looking for a Lead Launch Engineer to join our growing team and to help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket. As Lead Launch Engineer at Relativity, you will be responsible for some of Relativity’s critical launch infrastructure and GSE projects. You will report directly to the Head of Launch.
Outcomes and Objectives:
To help us revolutionize the way rockets are built and flown, you will be collaborating across multiple teams for the development of launch site GSE, as well as site activation and operation. This encompasses a wide variety of designs (full cycle – from conceptualization, design, prototyping, manufacturing, testing, design and implementation).
Examples of some projects you will be working on include:
· Launch Site Propellant Farm Design and Build
· Launch Site Systems Procedure Development
· Launch Site Activation
· Launch Day Operations
To be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups. Pressure around timelines, cost, and quality unleash the best in you, and you find creative ways to optimize across trade-offs. You are comfortable interacting with highly technical teams to identify fundamental site requirements and compile solutions that work for a variety of teams. You have the highest attention to detail, while being able to abstract form day-to-day challenges and ensure alignment on high-level objectives.
You also need to have excellent judgement and analytical skills, as well as maintain a high degree of professional ethics and integrity. On a day-to-day, you will be working a multitude of projects to build our modern state-of-the-art launch site(s), including fluid and structural system design and fabrication, system activation, procedure creation, site maintenance and launch day operations.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 7+ years experience in a full cycle design engineering role and a Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
- Experience with CAD (NX, Crew, Solidworks, Creo/ProE)
- Experience working with AFSPCMAN 91-710
- Experience with various standards, including ASTM, ASME, NASA, DoD, NFPA, API and SAE
- Experience in the aerospace (launch site) sector preferred
- Fluid and structural analysis abilities (hand-calcs)
- Low and High-pressure fluid system experience compressible and incompressible
- First class written, interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable with high-volume workload and self-driven prioritization.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 10+ years experience and an advanced degree
- Extensive experience with Creo/ProE
- Experience with ANSYS and piping analysis software (such as Caesar)
- Extensive analytical abilities for compressible and incompressible flow
- Experience with Launch Ground Operations
- Cryogenic Experience
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description