Relativity is looking for a Lead Automation Engineer to join our multifaceted Additive Manufacturing team comprised of Software, Automation and Computer Vision Engineers working closely with Weld Engineers to develop our Additive manufacturing technology. This position lead the development and execution of several exciting Automation projects while expanding the systems that help us autonomously 3D print rockets!
Our mission is to change the people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Lead Automation Engineer you be responsible for architecting and implementing the core components of our robotic 3D printing and automation capability.
You will create automated services and products with the verification and traceability required for manufacturing flight hardware while reviewing and supervising the work of other Automation Engineers. These products will increase the part complexity the printers can make, increase uptime, and minimize the need for human intervention. You will develop and optimize our deposition process to be sufficient for flight quality parts and perform sensor selection, data collection, and develop control loops integral to the capability of our 3D printers to make our first rocket for flight mid-2021.
You have designed and lead the build-out of hardware and software solutions for industrial automation. You have demonstrated the capacity to tackle the full-stack of software and hardware ranging from Robotics (Kuka), PLCs and industrial safety (Beckoff) to produce tightly controlled manufacturing processes.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- BS in either Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering/Mechatronics, or relevant field
- 7+ years of experience in developing software and controls for industrial robots
- 5+ years of experience writing hardware interfacing software in Python and C++
- Experience developing and integrating with safety critical features and software for industrial robots
- Demonstrated ability to successfully conceptualize, architect and integrate automated systems from the ground up. This includes ability to:
- Determine functional requirements for hardware, software, data usage and requirements
- Perform trade studies on hardware selection, system design, and software architecture
- Conduct PFMEAs to inform proper safety architecture
- Successfully implement the system start to finish.
- Successful track record of leading complex multidisciplinary projects and teams
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- MS, PhD or PE in either Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering/Mechatronics, or relevant field
- Direct experience with industrial hardware products including Kuka and Beckoff
- 10+ years of experience in developing software and controls for industrial robots
- 7+ years of experience writing hardware interfacing software in Python and C++ involving EtherCAT protocols
- Experience with using weld processes for additive manufacturing
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.