Lead Applications Engineer
Why Work at Grindr?
Since 2009, Grindr has built the world’s largest social network for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. Now more than just an app, we’re a family of lifestyle brands with the shared mission to connect LGBTQ people with the world around them:
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- INTO – A digital magazine dedicated to queer perspectives: news, culture, commentary, video, and more.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- Gaymoji – A one-of-a-kind collection of over 500+ stickers available on iOS, Android, and in the Grindr app.
- Slumbr – An event series for the high-minded partygoer, combining fashion, music, and art.
Behind the brands, Grindr is an inclusive and passionate family of thinkers, innovators, leaders, and most importantly, doers. We’re fueled by endless curiosity, constant collaboration, and a knack for crossing every finish line – all within an agile growth environment. We also enjoy tons of perks, great social events, and stunning views from our HQ in West Hollywood.
Grindr is looking for a Lead Applications Engineer for our growing Backend Team to lead the design of the architecture of our Backend Services platform supporting our global, fast-growing, highly engaged user base, and to coordinate the efforts of domestic and off-shore engineering teams to accelerate the delivery of new Electronic Payment and Mobile App Subscription features, while maintaining high standards of stability, fault-tolerance and software quality.
- Lead design of the architecture of our Backend Services API platform to support a growing global, highly-engaged user base of Mobile Applications.
- Coordinate efforts of domestic and off-shore engineering teams to accelerate delivery of new Electronic Payment and Mobile App Subscription features developed in Java and deployed on Apache Tomcat, fully encrypted with SSL.
- Design and adapt the architecture of company’s Backend Services for growth and scalability by using optimal MySQL database design and optimization, as well as key-value store technologies like Memcached. Ensure high availability of services through capacity planning and infrastructure engineering for SSL-enabled distributed systems running on Linux.
- Design and develop highly scalable and fault tolerant Java Distributed Systems to integrate with Third Party Mobile Payment processors and the company’s own systems.
- Design and develop Continuous Integration and Delivery systems to accelerate the speed of new feature releases using Junit and Shell Scripting.
- Establish Java Software Engineering best practices and processes for efficient collaboration between domestic and off-shore teams.
- Provide technical leadership and mentor junior team members in Java software development, testing techniques with Junit, MySQL database design and indexing and document store databases.
- Coordinate off-shore teams and drive process improvements for software development and software releases.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related
- 5 years progressive, post-baccalaureate experience as an Applications Engineer, Software Engineer, or Software Applications Developer
- Experience developing Object-Oriented Software; developing software for Unix/Linux Operating Systems; designing, developing, testing and maintain Distributed Systems; developing asynchronous Web Applications; designing and optimizing MySQL databases; developing, configuring and deploying Apache Tomcat Web Applications
- Experience with integration of Third Party APIs and Data
- Experience developing highly scalable Backend APIs to power Mobile Applications
- Experience with key-value stores like Memcached
- Experience developing applications for document-store databases
- Must pass technical interview and/or design test
Benefits & Perks
- 100% covered medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous Parental Leave
- Unlimited sick policy
- Competitive Salaries
- Catered daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
*Recruiting firms that submit resumes to Grindr without first entering into a written contract will not be entitled to any compensation on candidates referred by that firm.