Team and Role Overview
Relativity is seeking a highly talented Launch Mechanical Engineer to join our growing team in Los Angeles, CA. This role will play an integral part in designing, building and operating the launch site. As a Launch Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for some of Relativity’s critical launch infrastructure and GSE projects. This role is part of Relativity’s Launch and Infrastructure team, which oversees launch site design & build, launch operations, and new infrastructure projects. This role will report directly to the Director of Launch.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
At Relativity, we are redefining the way rockets are designed, built and flown. Starting with our proprietary and cutting-edge 3D printing technology, we aim to simplify and automate the manufacturing of rockets. This revolutionary approach enables us to make launch vehicles faster and more cost efficiently, allowing us to offer cost-efficient and short lead-time launch services to customers.
As a Launch Mechanical Engineer, you will have a major role in the development, build, and operation of launch site hardware that interfaces directly with the vehicle, ground support equipment, test fixtures and tooling. This role is responsible for the entire life cycle of the projects, from conceptualization to design, prototyping, manufacturing, testing, and implementation.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline (mechanical, aerospace, or equivalent)
- 3+ years of experience in a full cycle design engineering role
- Experience working with AFSPCMAN 91-710
- Experience with various standards, including American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) 360, American Concrete Institute (ACE) 318, and American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1, ASTM, ASME, NASA, DoD, NFPA, API, and SAE
- Experience with CAD (NX, Creo, Solidworks)
- Complex structural analysis capabilities
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- High organizational skills in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to perform and manage technically complex projects using independent judgment and personal initiative
- Recognize and act on opportunities; maintain flexibility to adjust as requirements shift of constraints change
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 7+ years’ experience with advanced degree
- Experience Working with DOD, USAF, and NASA
- Experience in the aerospace (rocket) sector
- Extensive experience with NX
- Experience with ANSYS and FEMAP
- Experience with Launch GSE Operations
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.