Ground Segment Lead at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
Do you like to learn? Do you want the ability to create requirements, build capability, and see it in use in short timelines? Are you interested in working on challenging problems across a diverse set of capabilities? If you answered yes any of these questions, have I got a job for you.
The Special Programs Division (SPD) supports our USSF customer, SMC/Special Programs, in the development, delivery, operations, and sustainment of unrivaled space control capabilities to guarantee space superiority for our nation. Examples include the Geosynchronous Space Situational Awareness Program (GSSAP), the Space Based Space Surveillance Program (SBSS), and the Counter Communications System (CCS). While executing this important and exciting mission area, SPD seeks your expertise and is committed to being a diverse and inclusive organization that offers opportunity for professional development and personal growth for all of our staff members. We push the edge of technology and ensure warfighter capabilities can be executed as an enterprise to outpace the threat.
Summary of Responsibilities
The selected applicant will serve as a critical member of a small team supporting ambitious advanced programs. This position is focused on supporting the ground efforts within the tightly integrated program office consisting of military, Aerospace, and SETA personnel. The work location is embedded within the government program office, so there is frequent interaction with the government and support contractors. This Aerospace role will also interface with contractors that are building, integrating and testing hardware.
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for integration and test activities
- Develop requirements, evaluate system capability, and implement solutions for challenging problems across a diverse set of capabilities
- Develop Courses of Action to inform decisions related to I&T and keep corporate and customer management informed of activities
- Support mission assurance activities and corporate reviews
- Provide system engineering support (acquisition, requirements, and test). This includes technical oversight and insight of multiple prime contractors; working with USSF S2/3/6 and S5 and Enterprise community
- Assess whether contractors’ products: are developed in accordance with statement of work; meet requirements; and satisfy mission assurance criteria
- Build subject matter expert teams from the Engineering and Technology Group (ETG) and manage their systems engineering support and technical products
- Collaborate to ensure that program office and ETG staff are effectively teamed to work closely with AF customer, contractors, SETA personnel, other FFRDCs, and UARCs. Strong emphasis will be placed on delivering high quality technical products in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, or related technical discipline
- 12 or more years of relevant technical experience that includes systems engineering experience for the Senior Project Engineer position
- Current Top Secret/SCI clearance required. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
- Ability to obtain additional security clearances
- Experience presenting technical information and writing technical documents
- Experience building and maintaining effective teams and develop good working interpersonal relations with internal and external organizations such as customer, Aerospace, and contractors
- Moderate amount of travel required
- Demonstrated systems engineering experience
- Demonstrated ability to identify and mitigate risks; and analyze systems interfaces
- An advanced degree in engineering, mathematics, or science
- Demonstrated Aerospace Mission Assurance process experience
- Ability to quickly identify and assess risk areas
- Experience with systems requirements synthesis, traceability, review, and verification
- Demonstrated organizational and project leadership skills with the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams
- Experience in the Space Superiority mission area
- Experience working closely with Engineering & Technology Group (ETG), program office peers, customers, and contractor personnel to quickly resolve issues
- Relevant experience with systems such as: communications and digital signal processing technologies; ground processing; mission processing; network infrastructure; RF; and command and control
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.