Fluid Systems Manufacturing Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets. We have an ambitious mission, and we understand that it takes a team to achieve it. This is why we are growing and looking for team members to join us that feel just as excited and driven to accomplish something that has not been done before, together.
Our Vehicle team is growing, and we are looking for a highly talented build/manufacturing engineer to help achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket. The successful candidate will demonstrate an excellent understanding of fluid/mechanical systems and best practices for developing this hardware with a focus towards manufacturability and ease of integration. This position is ideal for mechanical/aerospace engineers looking to make a broad impact in a small, high-performance team.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
As a member of the rapidly-growing vehicle fluid systems engineering team at Relativity, you will have a hand in all aspects of the design, development, build, and operation of fluid systems on the Terran 1 launch vehicle. You will work closely with design engineers and technicians to develop and install flight-critical hardware on the vehicle.
Projects and responsibilities would include:
- Work with a small engineering team to ensure that vehicle fluid system components and subassemblies meet all aspects of the intended design, with a focus towards manufacturability and integration
- Develop production processes and procedures and recommend design adaptations to improve production efficiency; resolve recurring manufacturing discrepancies
- Own fluid systems hardware from development through integration on the vehicle; create and maintain build schedules
- Work with vendors as necessary to meet hardware deadlines
- Hold design reviews with interdisciplinary engineering teams
- Assist with efforts for qualification/acceptance testing of fluid systems hardware/subassemblies
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who is excited about participating in the entire design cycle of launch vehicle fluid systems. You are expected to be a relentless owner of fluid systems hardware through design, manufacture, test, and integration on the vehicle. You should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is eager to take on difficult engineering challenges.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate engineering degree in mechanical, aerospace, or equivalent
- 2+ years experience with manufacturing design of complex mechanical systems
- Working knowledge of fluid system components (fittings, seals, valves, regulators, etc.) and component testing
- Proficiency in 3D CAD programs (NX preferred)
- Experience interacting with vendors and machine shops
- GD&T proficiency
- Experience with materials selection, fabrication methods, and quality control standards relevant to the aerospace industry
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience with cryogenic systems, high pressure systems
- Experience designing fluid systems for aerospace applications
- Hands-on experience in the design, integration, test, and operation of space vehicles
- Project planning, scheduling, and cost estimation
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.