Firmware Engineer – R&D
Bird is a last-mile electric vehicle sharing company dedicated to bringing safe, low-cost, environmentally-friendly transportation solutions to communities across the world. We provide a fleet of electric, shared scooters that can be accessed via smartphone. Bird is headquartered in Venice, California and is rapidly expanding across the country and the world.
Bird's R&D department is responsible for assessing new technologies, adapting existing technologies and ensuring products conform to all relevant safety, environmental & functional certifications. We support the Production team whenever they encounter a problem during manufacturing. R&D also brings in new vehicle suppliers and ensures they conform to Bird's strict quality and performance specifications. R&D has a large number of special projects in the pipeline ranging from small mechanical devices to complete vehicle systems.
Reporting to the Head of R&D, the Firmware Engineer will be responsible for coding a multitude of firmware solutions for a wide variety of devices. The Firmware Engineer will work closely with Electrical Engineers, Technicians and other Bird team members to produce brilliantly engineered devices for use with Bird vehicles.
What You'll Do
- Develop firmware for Bird’s fleet of Electric Vehicles and accessories
- Collaborate with Electrical/Electronics Engineers to develop these systems
- Develop firmware installation and QC processes for new products
- Tune system performance & verify operational efficiencies
What You'll Need
- Bachelor degree or higher in computer science, electrical engineering or similar
- Strong experience and proficiency in embedded languages, particularly with C
- 3+ years preferred in at least 3 of the following: firmware development, testing, & debugging, FreeRTOS, CANbus, UART, I2C, & SPI communications, Motor Control Systems, ST microcontrollers
- Experience developing firmware for tracking devices, control systems, and RF products
- Knowledge of PCB design, using schematic capture and layout tools (Altium preferred)
- Knowledge of version control tools (GIT, SVN, or the like)
- Experience with Firmware Over the Air Process
- Experience developing Bootloaders and programming over CAN
- Experience with Nordic Semiconductor platforms
- Experience with FCC, CE, UL regulatory bodies and requirements
- LTE Cat M1 Experience
- Multi Band GNSS Experience
- Wifi Experience
- NFC Experience
- Experience with MVNO operation
Bird Rides Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer, and we welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetics. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Read Full Job Description