Engineering Manager, Observability at Block (Remote)
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams - People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more - provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
The Observability Engineering Manager leads a high performing team to provide the infrastructure and tooling to help Block engineers understand and troubleshoot their infrastructure and consumer products at scale. Builds and continuously improves the systems to ensure high reliability and performance through metrics, logging, and traces through ownership of a streaming event and analytics platform unifying data across Block's various business units. Provide the connectivity from the source of where telemetry is created through to its consumption and creation of insights for driving optimization and efficiency of Block's systems.
That Observability Team is divided into two focus areas. The Experience Squad, chartered with building the tooling to enable developers to emit events and metrics and interact with and reason about their telemetry in an effective, efficient manner. This group also supports Block wide reliability efforts through tooling to establish consistency across the company, derive insights from data and make it actionable. The Infrastructure Squad, chartered with owning the pipelines that makes all of our observability practices, scalable and resilient. They ensure we have the infrastructure and frameworks that support the use cases and solutions needed both by our Experience Squad and our future users of our converged pipeline.
- Lead a team of engineers providing foundational capabilities supporting multiple stakeholders and dozens of development teams while still participating in solution design, deploys, triaging and code reviews
- Grow the team by hiring qualified candidates, coaching and developing engineers, and employ your technical and managerial expertise to inspire the highest quality of work
- Work with Product counterparts to prioritize and organize the work to deliver new capabilities, manage the backlog and run ceremonies
- Set the vision for your space and manage all expectations of stakeholders and meet committed deliverables
- Partner closely with strategic vendors, manage costs and research observability trends and best practices
- Evangelize solutions
- onboard and educate diverse development teams
- 2+ years of experience managing, recruiting, and retaining strong engineering talent and growing effective teams
- 5+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- Experience handling complex technical concepts, leading and working with remote teams to make decisions that allow them to move forward
- Experience building scalable distributed systems with large queuing systems managing loads (Kafka and Kinesis preferred )
- Strong understanding of performance metrics
- Experience instrumenting cloud-based based infrastructure (AWS preferred )
- Experience driving adoption of new solutions and technologies within a large company
- Experience working across multiple technical domains, including back-end microservices and both internal and external-facing tools
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location's zone designation, please refer to this resource . If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.