Role: Software Engineering Manager
Reports to: Director, Software Engineering
The Software Applications Engineering Manager will own the online presence for ReachLocal’s client-facing web applications. Working closely with Product Management, application engineering teams, and DevOps, the candidate will drive development and delivery of client facing technology solutions to enable our clients to be more effective with their online marketing with ReachLocal's Client Center and running their home services businesses with Kickserv.
About your teams
You will work with multiple well established teams. They are staffed with a mix of seniority and experience, yet they work very well together. These teams are geographically distributed and have built skills to collaborate without being colocated.
• Mentor and directly manage Engineering Leads who drive product teams.
• Monitor and evaluate application performance to handle current needs and projected growth
• Design product and feature solutions with your product teams to ensure that they are engineered to using best practices that will meet performance and scalability goals.
• Drive the evaluation, design, and integration of major new capabilities into ReachLocal software product lines, ensuring that product design and technology choices anticipate future needs, while satisfying short term market requirements.
• Enhance and develop product by evaluating and recommending industry trends and emerging technologies.
• Oversee multiple projects by working effectively at multiple levels (in the trenches with individual engineers, whiteboarding with senior designers and managers, or documenting for internal and external audiences).
• Create long term prioritization plans for your teams, represent them in the project backlog, and advocate for the inclusion of those items in sprint planning.
• Enact processes for constantly improving the performance, scalability, extensibility, interoperability, and reliability of ReachLocal’s software products.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices.
• Experience with monitoring tools and alerting to ensure our customers experience the level of service and reliability they expect.
• Ability to communicate and build community with geographically dispersed teams. Your online communication needs to be as strong as your in-person communication.
• Proven ability to drive enterprise development best practices throughout an engineering organization
• Must demonstrate experience in the techniques used to build scalable, economically feasible, reliable, and high-performing systems.
• Must have experience running applications on cloud provider.
• Minimum 4 years of leadership experience building complex, world-class software products, web-based platforms.
• Bachelor's of Computer Science or equivalent degree in technology-related studies; MS in technology related field; or Bachelor's in unrelated area accompanied by multiple years of proven work experience in technology leadership.
• Deep experience running production services that used a variety of AWS offerings, e.g., anything from RDS, lambda, Elastic Beanstalk, or ECS
• Experience rearchitecting applications to increase performance.
• Experience automating AWS configurations
• Experience building product software under an Agile development methodology for SaaS customer model.
• Extensive knowledge of current and emerging Open Source technologies and trends
• Experience leading teams using techniques that enable team code ownership, e.g., test-driven development, literate code, code reviews, pair programming
• Technical curiosity, when something interests you, you have to try it out for yourself and you find a way to get others excited about it as well.
• Pragmatism with regard to application of craft, technology, and currently available team and resources.
• Analytical thinker with penchant for gathering and parsing usage and performance data.
• Experience in understanding and shaping technology investments in support of company strategy.
• May require up to 20%
ReachLocal, Inc.'s (NASDAQ: RLOC) mission is to help small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) acquire, maintain and retain customers via the Internet. ReachLocal offers a comprehensive suite of online marketing solutions, including search engine marketing (ReachSearch™), Web presence (ReachCast™), display advertising (ReachDisplay™) and remarketing, deal commerce (ReachDeals™), online marketing analytics (TotalTrack), and assisted chat service (TotalLiveChat™), each targeted to the SMB market. ReachLocal delivers this suite of services to SMBs through a combination of its proprietary technology platform and its direct, "feet-on-the-street" sales force of Internet Marketing Consultants and select third party agencies and resellers.
Since the company’s founding in 2004, ReachLocal has generated over 34 million phone calls and 20 million online inquires for our local business advertisers. Through our publisher network that includes Google and Yahoo!, ReachLocal reaches over 195 million search engine users and 170 million Internet surfers. With over 55 million keywords currently under management, ReachLocal has 17,400 active advertisers and 24,300 active campaigns running throughout 54 markets in North America, Europe and Australia.