Engineer Safety & Testing at UL Solutions (Greater LA Area, CA)
At UL, we know why we come to work.
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL Solutions stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
At UL Solutions, we apply our scientific expertise and data to everything from material selection and product design to large-scale production and end-of-life. As our global footprint continues to spread across the world, we are looking for an Engineer with a focus in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering to join our team!
What you'll learn & achieve:
Our Appliances, HVAC and Lighting enables safe and high performing products to enter the global markets by providing industry leading safety, performance and expert services to our clients. The goal of AHL is to add value to our clients with expert knowledge of global markets and risk mitigation through scientific leadership. The AHL is focused on delivering a total solution package to cover full product life cycle services from product concept design to recycling and a customizable, comprehensive portfolio of services to our customers.
Individual in this role will manage the timely execution and completion of engineering projects by analyzing project scope and determining project specifications, establishing test programs for product investigations, analyzing test programs for adequacy and sequence, examining samples for compliance with UL requirements, and preparing reports for clients.
- Determines project scope, develops a preliminary plan of investigation, and determines project specifications such as cost, time, and sample requirements by analyzing client input, available supplemental data, and product construction. Projects may include travel to conduct or witness tests at client sites.
- Initiates communication with clients to promote and explain the benefits of new and existing services. Follows up on contacts from clients. Communicates with clients to discuss technical issues, explain UL procedures and requirements, convey project cost, and negotiate completion date and sample requirements. Acts to address client concerns and to resolve client issues. Provides technical assistance to clients in reference to product inspection and follow-up services.
- Establishes appropriate test programs by reviewing files and manufacturer's information, examining samples, and applying UL requirements. Is familiar with applicable standards, company manuals and appropriate technical literature. Examines samples for compliance with UL requirements and notifies client of any areas in which the product is not in compliance or of any changes in project scope or specifications.
- Coordinates laboratory activities by preparing data sheets and instructions to technicians, scheduling and reviewing work of laboratory technicians and engineering assistants, and establishing completion dates. Coordinates administrative aspects of project management. May serve as Project Handler of record and/or Reviewer of record as assigned.
- Communicates project status and results to clients through frequent contact and by preparing reports. Prepares Follow-Up Service Procedures and information pages.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Resolves engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations.
- This position is Hybrid
What makes you a great fit:
University Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Industrial Technology, Manufacturing Technology, or Physics from an ABET accredited program. No experience required.
What you'll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn't new. Making the world a safer, more secure, and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you'll almost always hear, "the people." Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We're able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers create. We're inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: The salary range for this position is $70,300 - $86,000 and is based upon years of experience that is commensurate with the level of the position. All employees at UL Solutions are eligible for annual bonus compensation. The target for this position is 5% of the base salary offered. Employees are eligible for health benefits such as medical, dental and vision; wellness benefits such as mental & financial health; and retirement savings (401K) commensurate with the standard rewards offered in each individual location or country, for the relevant position level. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation (15 days), holiday including floating holidays (12 days) and sick time off (72 hours). Internal applicants with questions related to the Total Rewards for this position should submit a ticket via askHR for more insights
Working at UL Solutions is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.com