Our team combines seasoned aerospace engineering talent and Special Operations combat veterans to address 21st century threats. We embrace the best practices from Silicon Valley innovation, such as agile development. We also deliver breakthroughs in high-power microwave technology for offensive and defensive EMP as well as artificial intelligence for enhanced targeting capabilities.
Job Objective: Epirus develops high power microwave (HPM) systems. The EMP Test Engineer/Scientist role is responsible for leading the way in advancing the science of how Epirus’s novel HPM systems impact different systems under test. This primarily involves empirical study around designing and conducting EMP effects testing in Epirus’s RF chambers, including operating Epirus’s HPM lab assets. EMP effects testing includes selecting target systems, setting up appropriate forms of target system monitoring/effect assessment, setting up the RF chamber for test, operating HPM lab assets, measuring radiated powers and other key parameters, and characterizing the extents and limits of different effects. Operating the HPM lab assets involves writing Python scripts to interface with the assets and help automate testing. Performing root cause analysis of effects, theoretically and/or experimentally, also falls within the scope of this role. Prior experience in EMI / EMC testing may be particularly useful in this role. Creativity, critical thinking, and a penchant for interacting with a wide variety of both hardware and software are key for this role.
- Manage and operate Epirus’s RF chambers, HPM lab assets, and related equipment
- Design test plans, including system monitoring/effect assessment apparatuses
- Select specific systems under test for suitability/feasibility
- Write scripts to automate testing
- Operate HPM lab assets, systems under test
- Propose new R&D efforts, in coordination with Engineering and Business Development leadership
- Perform data analysis to characterize extents and limits of different effects
- Perform experiments for digging down into root causes of effects
- Clearly document and communicate findings
- Develop demo procedures to show off product capabilities
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- 3+ years experience
- Familiarity with Python programming
- Experience working with RF lab equipment, preferably including chamber measurements
- US Citizen or permanent resident (future security clearance may be required)
- Aerospace/Defense experience and/or military experience preferred, or experience in robotics/a similar industry
- Good written and oral communication skills; not afraid to speak up, either to ask for help or disagree on a technical point that warrants more discussion
- Collaborative; capable of working across all levels of the organization
- Eager to learn and to help others on the team
- Organized; comfortable working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Focused, with perspective on what matters most, rapidly delivering customer value
- Familiarity with RF systems (e.g. radar, comms, EW, etc.)
- Strong critical thinking skills, experience designing experiments
- Experience with EMI/EMC testing
Epirus was the magical bow with infinite arrows wielded by the Greek hero Theseus. Like our namesake, we strive to be fast, efficient, and limitless in our approach. This agility, combined with a culture of innovation in systems development, allows us to move quickly without losing the decades of lessons learned.
We have developed technologies that leverage new breakthroughs in sensors and high-power microwave, combined with computer vision and advanced software control. Our first broad-market application is a comprehensive defense system to defeat offensive drones at scale.
Read Full Job Description