Embedded Software Engineer at Honeybee Robotics (Greater LA Area, CA)
Honeybee Robotics has been at the forefront of robotics for over 40 years, establishing ourselves as pioneers in developing novel exploration systems for the most extreme planetary environments. At our Southern California location, we look to "Touch Life" by supporting planetary science, including every NASA Mars rover since Spirit and Opportunity. We aim to "Mine the Sky" through the development of practical In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) solutions. We search for technically brilliant individuals in engineering, software, and support fields who take ownership of their work, enjoy collaborating in teams, and have a laser focus on the details that drive excellence.
Honeybee Robotics is seeking embedded software engineers to develop aerospace robotics and measurement software systems designed to touch life and mine the sky.
We currently have embedded software engineer opportunities for applicants with two to eight (2-8) years of software development experience. The primary duties and responsibilities of the position will be determined based on your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Lead the development, testing, and validation of robotics software and control systems
- Collaborate with scientists, engineering managers, product management, and program management to drive new product development programs from concept to production
- Manage software field deployments and provide on-site and remote customer support
- Derive and own software system requirements and schedules
- Evaluate and identify improvements to system design with a specific focus on robust autonomy
- Bring up and evaluate Printed Circuit Boards (PCB)
- Write requirements and specification documents
- B.S. in Computer Science, Robotics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other relevant degrees
- Experience writing software for P.C. or embedded targets
- Knowledge of C/C++ development
- Experience with testing frameworks and unit testing
- Experience with Git version control system
- Experience reading circuit diagrams and performing basic debugging
- Experience designing effective software architectures for critical, high-reliability systems
- Ability to write maintainable and responsive multithreaded and multi-process applications
- Knowledge of digital communication systems (ethernet, USB, async, serial, CAN, SPI, I2C)
- Experience with space flight avionics or ground system software, particularly on planetary exploration missions
- Knowledge of automated software tests and continuous integration systems
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Robotics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other relevant degrees
- Experience interfacing with FPGA HDL devices
- 2+ years of RTOS development experience
- Python scripting experience
- Qt or other GUI development experience
- Experience writing code for motion control
- Experience with distributed networked software for controls
- Knowledge of robotics motion systems (e.g., manipulator kinematics and dynamics)
Compensation and Benefits:
- Employee Benefits include medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, and short and long-term disability.
- 401(k) with immediate vesting and a 4.5% company match (100% on the first 3% and 50% on the next 3%)
- Education Reimbursement for certificate, undergraduate, and graduate programs
- Paid Time Off includes up to 4 weeks per year, paid sick leave, paid parental leave, two floating, and 11 company holidays.
$96,000 - $227,000 a year
We offer a flexible salary range for this job posting that will be customized based on the qualifications of the chosen candidate. Our compensation strategy takes into account various factors, including education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, internal equity, and market alignment. The position is available at multiple levels, and the corresponding salary ranges are as follows:
Embedded Software Engineer I: $96,000 - $118,000
Embedded Software Engineer II: $119,000 - $147,000
Embedded Software Engineer III: $143,000 - $177,000
Embedded Software Engineer IV: $183,000 - $227,000
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every desired qualification. If you're excited about this role, but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
See your work make an impact on some of the most exciting space missions, including major subsystems of NASA's upcoming Dragonfly, VIPER, and Mars Sample Return missions. Work alongside with the best and the brightest, including our partners across the aerospace industry. In a few short years, your contributions will allow you to point to Mars, the Moon, or Saturn's moon Titan, and say, "I did that!"
Applicants for employment at Honeybee Robotics, LLC must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Honeybee Robotics, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, national origin, or veteran status.
Note: This job posting is intended for direct applicants only. We request that outside recruiters do not contact us regarding this position.