Embedded Software Engineer III at Honeybee Robotics (Greater LA Area, CA)
Honeybee Robotics has been at the forefront of robotics for over 40 years, establishing ourselves as pioneers in developing novel exploration systems for the most extreme planetary environments. At our Southern California location, we look to "Touch Life" by supporting planetary science, including every NASA Mars rover since Spirit and Opportunity. We aim to "Mine the Sky" through the development of practical In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) solutions. We search for technically brilliant individuals in engineering, software, and support fields who take ownership of their work, enjoy collaborating in teams, and have a laser focus on the details that drive excellence.
Honeybee Robotics is seeking an Embedded Software Engineer III to support robotics and measurement software systems development.
- Develop and maintain robotic control and measurement software systems for PCs and embedded systems
- Lead efforts in testing and validation of robotics software and control systems
- Manage software field deployments and provide support on-site and remotely to customers
- Derive and own software system requirements and schedules
- Evaluate and identify improvements to system design with a specific focus on robust autonomy
- Interface with scientists, engineering managers, product management, and program management to drive new product development programs from concept to production
- Provide hands-on support to cross-functional product development teams servicing markets, including space, defense, medical, manufacturing, and other industries
- Write requirements and specification documents
- BS in Computer Science, Robotics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
- 6+ years of experience (or 4+ with MS) in software development for either PC or embedded targets
- Extensive knowledge of C/C++ development
- Experience with testing frameworks and unit testing
- Experience with Git version control system
- Experience reading circuit diagrams and performing basic debugging
- Experience designing effective software architectures for critical high-reliability systems
- Capability to write maintainable and responsive multithreaded and multi-process applications
- Knowledge of digital communication systems (ethernet, USB, async, serial, CAN, SPI, I2C)
- Experience with space flight avionics or ground system software, particularly on planetary exploration missions
- Knowledge of automated software tests and continuous integration systems
- Experience with interfacing with FPGA HDL devices
- 2+ years of RTOS development experience
- Python scripting experience
- GUI development experience (Qt experience preferred)
- Experience writing code for motion control
- Experience with distributed networked software for controls (i.e. ROS)
- Knowledge of robotics motion systems (e.g., manipulator kinematics and dynamics)
Compensation and Benefits:
- Employee Benefits include medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, and short and long-term disability.
- 401(k) with immediate vesting and a 4.5% company match (100% on the first 3% and 50% on the next 3%)
- Education Reimbursement for certificate, undergraduate, and graduate programs
- Paid Time Off includes up to 4 weeks per year, paid sick leave, paid parental leave, two floating, and 11 company holidays.
$143,000 - $177,000 a year
Salary is determined by the applicant's education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, internal equity, and alignment with market data.
See your work make an impact on some of the most exciting space missions, including major subsystems of NASA's upcoming Dragonfly, VIPER, and Mars Sample Return missions. Work alongside with the best and the brightest, including our partners across the aerospace industry. In a few short years, your contributions will allow you to point to Mars, the Moon, or Saturn's moon Titan, and say, "I did that!"
Applicants for employment at Honeybee Robotics, LLC must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Honeybee Robotics, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, national origin, or veteran status.
Note: This job posting is intended for direct applicants only. We request that outside recruiters do not contact us regarding this position.