Electronics Design Engineer R&D
Bird is a last-mile electric vehicle sharing company dedicated to bringing safe, low-cost, environmentally-friendly transportation solutions to communities across the world. We provide a fleet of electric, shared scooters that can be accessed via smartphone. Bird is headquartered in Venice, California and is rapidly expanding across the country and the world.
Birds R&D department is responsible for assessing new technologies, adapting existing technologies and ensuring products conform to all relevant safety, environmental & functional certifications. We support the Production Team whenever they encounter a problem during manufacturing. R&D also brings in new suppliers and ensures they conform to Birds strict quality and performance specifications. R&D has a large number of special projects in the pipeline ranging from small electro-mechanical devices to complete state of the art vehicle systems.
Bird is looking for a talented and motivated individual to be a key contributor to Birds success. Reporting to the Head of R&D, the Electronics Design Engineer will have ownership of a wide variety of PCB and electro mechanical projects. Daily tasks will include schematic capture, layout, prototype fabrication, assembly, troubleshooting & writing test firmware. The Electronics Design Engineer will work closely with Mechanical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, Technicians and other Bird team members to produce brilliantly engineered devices for use with Bird vehicles.
What You'll Do
- Be an expert in all aspects of Altium Designer and Solidworks
- Be responsible for circuit topology, component selection, PCB layout, prototyping, writing test firmware and validating a wide variety of electronics projects.
- Work from preliminary schematics, prototypes, parts lists, basic description of PCB functions, configuration as well as schematics captured from napkin drawings.
- Design multi layer PCB layout for mixed analog, digital and RF designs.
- Understand how to design for various certifications like FCC, CE and UL
- Handle concurrent fast-paced projects with minimal direction
- Contribute to drivetrain and vehicle level integrations from prototype to production
- Provide support to production and assembly during the production of prototypes
- Work closely with Mechanical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, Production and Supply Chain to bring the product into mass production
- Mentoring and training junior engineers
- Travel domestically and internationally as required
What You'll Need
- At least 2 years experience using Altium & Solidworks
- At least 2 years writing test & validation firmware for your PCB projects
- Experience in power electronics development and manufacturing
- Solid background in power engineering and controlKnowledge of motor control principles
- A strong desire to create state-of-the-art engineering products as an integral part of a very capable team
- A flair for creative design engineering and problem solving
- Large volume product development experience
- Basic understanding of overall electric vehicle components and functions
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Basic sensor types and technologies
- Experience with communication protocols like CAN, SPI, I2C, UART etc.
- Electrical test and debug using industry standard tools (oscilloscope, in-circuit debug, digital multi-meter, etc.)
Bird Rides Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer, and we welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetics. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Read Full Job Description