Electronic & Instrumentation Design Engineer
● Culver City, CA
Who we are
Flo Technologies is on a mission to prevent loss, one drip at a time. Flo prevents water damage and unnecessary water waste in homes and buildings across the country with its Flo by Moen smart home water monitoring and leak protection system. In 2018 alone, our system helped homeowners save over two million gallons of water and became available at Home Depot stores across the country, on HomeDepot.com, as well as in countless plumbing wholesalers.
We are a VC-backed company with over $40M in funding, and we have partnered with Moen, the #1 faucet brand in North America, to make Flo even more available to homeowners everywhere. We have won awards from Popular Science, Consumer Electronics Show, Electronic House, IOT Inventor, Green Builder Magazine, and Kitchen and Bath Industry Show to name a few.
We are an innovative, high performing team with empathy and integrity, and are obsessed with delivering value to our end users and making positive impacts on the world.
Our Core Values
● Individuals Make an Impact
● Continuous Improvement
● Focus on User Experience
● Positive Impact on the World
What we are looking for
We believe that Flo’s success hinges on the creative and unique thinking that comes from diverse perspectives. We are intentionally building an inclusive community of problem-solvers from many different backgrounds. We are an equal opportunity employer.
We are an A+ team looking for A+ players. We are searching for an innovative engineer to develop impactful, robust designs as we expand our portfolio of best in class hardware solutions.
We are looking for a confident individual that has a balance of electronic/embedded, instrumentation design/application, problem-solving and project management skills who excels at delivering creative solutions to challenging problems. Our organization is dynamic, and we are excitedly cultivating ideas for new products, enhancements, applications, or emergent technologies every day. At the same time, we are laser-focused on executing on, delivering, and supporting these innovations for our customers. You are someone who can strategically navigate this balance between time devoted to ideation versus execution.
You love being part of a team and are most productive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment. You are an energetic person of integrity who is passionate about efficiently producing high quality work.
You will report directly to the Head of Hardware Engineering / R&D.
What you’ll do
· Responsible for development and integration of electronic, electro-mechanical and logic subsystems
· Team with mechanical design on full product design
· Specify sensors, actuators and instrumentation
· Conduct pre-alpha phase simulation and breadboarding tests
· Coordinate alpha and beta phase sampling
· Develop and coordinate validation / stress tests
· Collaborate with production firmware/software engineering to facilitate hand-off at launch transition
· Create and maintain PCBA design documentation (schematics, board layouts, BOMs, build files)
· Lead electronic / firmware ECO/ECN change management process using PLM system
· Manage dev firmware codebase in accordance with established release management systems and policies
· Maintain standardized procedures for electronic design documentation
- Prepare and present concept and technical design review presentations
- Conduct design reviews, identifying opportunities for enhancement or value-engineering efficiencies
- Responsible for APQP elements (FMEA, DOE, Simulation)
· Manage assigned projects within Stage Gate NPI process
- Support Global Supply Ops on manufacturer/partner assessments, technical and quality
- Provide technical support to internal and external customers (function, application, use)
· Coordinate electrical and communications third-party certifications
Who you are
- Bachelor of Science or advanced degree in engineering, with electronics or instrumentation focus
· 4+ years of relevant firmware and electronics development experience in individual-contributor role
- Proficient with circuit design and layout software (Allegro, Altium, Eagle, OrCad)
- Embedded system programming (C/C++, assembly, Python) skills – Intermediate or higher
- Practical wireless protocol application experience (IEEE 802.11, 802.15, 802.16)
- 3D parametric design application experience (Inventor, SolidWorks, Creo)
- Rapid development experience using single board computers (Arduino, ESP32, BeagleBoard, Raspberry Pi)
- Experience with structured project management systems
· Self-directed individual able to plan and execute work independently with high personal standards
- Creative-thinker able to efficiently solve, validate and deploy problem solutions
- Collaborative team-player
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
Who you might be (we can teach you if you’re not)
● Subject-matter expert on MPU / MCUs, sensor technologies, energy harvesting, wireless communications protocols, water quality instrumentation
● Experience with process and test automation using LabView or PLCs.
● Hydraulics / fluids application experience
● Application of Six Sigma Principles (LEAN / DFSS)
● APQP (software development procedures, FMEA)
● Knowledge of ISO 9001 or ISO/TS 16949 design control procedures a plus
What you will get
Competitive market compensation, unlimited vacation, medical, dental, vision, weekly catered lunch, a team that’s fun to be around, and an awesome office location in the heart of Culver City.