Dynamics Engineer at Virgin Hyperloop
The Dynamics Engineer falls under the Dynamics team within the CORE engineering group at Virgin Hyperloop One. The Dynamics Engineer will be responsible for modeling and analyzing the dynamics, loads, and performance of Hyperloop subsystems. As part of the Dynamics team, you will help maintain and develop in-house subsystem dynamics and controls simulation tools focused on vehicle flight, as well as utilize co-simulation with commercial multibody dynamics software for multi-domain analysis. You will also be responsible for the generation of engineering data to inform the design of subsystems, such as structural design, controller design, and failure mode analysis. Participation is expected in design reviews, product benchmarking, and overall system optimization studies.
- Maintain and develop in-house MATLAB/Simulink tools to model vehicle flight and subsystem dynamic behavior.
- Perform rigorous verification and documentation of in-house models.
- Utilize co-simulation with MATLAB/Simulink and commercial software for high-fidelity, multi-domain results.
- Work closely with Hyperloop subsystem teams (vehicle structures, track and civil structures, aerodynamics, electromechanical actuator development, controls, etc.) to accurately model their subsystem.
- Provide subsystem teams with engineering data to guide designs (structural loads, controller performance, power distribution, rider comfort, failure analyses, etc.)
- Make recommendations on the test campaigns for verification of dynamics analysis tools and studies.
- Enjoys developing efficient and novel solutions to challenging engineering problems.
- Has exceptional interpersonal skills and can work collaboratively with many other teams.
- Excellent communication (oral, written, presentation), interpersonal, and time-management and organizational skills.
- Strives to develop code for computational efficiency for fast simulation time and can follow set coding guidelines
- Can work quickly, efficiently, and independently on a tight schedule.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or similar field, or a bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of experience.
- Excellent knowledge of time domain and frequency domain analyses (harmonic, PSD, Laplace, discrete Fourier).
- Excellent understanding of engineering first principles in multiple domains (structural, electrical, aerodynamics, thermal, controls, etc.).
- Experience developing and analyzing multi-domain dynamic simulations in MATLAB/Simulink.
- PhD in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or similar field.
- Experience maintaining a database for tracking simulation results.
- Co-simulation using Simulink and commercial software tools
- Model certification and verification.
- Code generation and controls certification standards, such as EN50128.
- System identification and development of appropriate test suites.
- FMEA and failure statistics.
- Nonlinear system optimization techniques and software.
- Experience with one or more of the following CAE suites: Simcenter NX Pre/Post/Motion/Response Dynamics, NX NASTRAN, FEMAP, ANSYS, MSC PATRAN, MSC ADAMS, or Simulia Simpack.
Proficiency in one or more of the following:
- Nonlinear constrained multibody dynamics principles and analysis.
- Structural dynamics and vibration analysis and loads generation.
- Controls principles for design and modeling.
- Controls modeling and design (continuous and discrete).
- State estimation and sensor modeling techniques.