Director of Test and Integration at Relativity Space
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
Relativity seeks a Director of Avionics Test and Integration to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding technical engineering in the design, integration, and testing of the electrical components of the Terran-1 Launch Vehicle, as well as supporting vehicle checkouts and the development of test and launch facilities and infrastructure.
What you’ll do:
As the Director of Avionics Test and Integration, you will be responsible for overseeing all avionics deliverables to the Terran-1 Launch Vehicle. You will work with various component responsible engineers to ensure that boxes, harnesses, and mechanical features are being designed and manufactured to meet vehicle integration deadlines. You will oversee the development of test equipment and a scripting infrastructure that can quickly and reliably vet vehicle hardware. You will provide guidance to a number of team members that will produce test equipment, scripts, and flight hardware, and ensure that they remain focused by prioritizing and delegating work. You will provide feedback on numerous aspects of the design that will allow for easier fabrication and test during the course of the integration campaign and will provide guidance on how the company will physically assemble the rocket. You should look for ways to adapt to 3D printing techniques to bring aerospace integration into the 21st century.
The ideal candidate is a strong leader that can guide production and integration efforts. They should have experience integrating and testing large, complex electrical systems. They are focused on practicality, tracking delivery of avionics products and ensuring a prompt and on time delivery. They take full ownership of whatever falls in their jurisdiction. They are meticulous in tracking and documenting test results and testing rationales, and ensure the cause of all issues are researched and resolved. Assertive without being aggressive, they can mentor and inspire the members of their team to perform to the best of their abilities. They strive to improve their working understanding of the vehicle at all times to allow them to be decisive when it comes to programmatic decisions. A successful candidate should be able to communicate effectively between their team and other departments, detailing successes, decisions, risks, and blockers in order to keep management informed and able to adapt to challenges that arise during the build flow.
What you need to know:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in aerospace, mechanical, or electrical engineering and 10+ years relevant experience
- 5+ years experience leading a team
- Experience with the planning, design, bring-up, and integration of the electrical system of large scale systems (e.g. car, plane, launch vehicle or satellite, ship)
- Experience leading test software development
- Willingness to travel to our test facilities at the Stennis Space Center and launch sites at Vandenberg and Cape Canaveral
Nice to haves but not required – if you do not meet all of these criteria, you should still apply:
- Prior work on a launch vehicle or spacecraft
- Experience leading and growing people managers and leads
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Electrical CAD and circuit design experience
- Mechanical or electrical design experience with CAD modeling software, preferably Teamcenter, NX or Altium
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience developing tests to support component acceptance/qualification or on-vehicle verification
We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual Learning & Development stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.