Director, Site Reliability Engineering
We’re looking for an Engineering Director that will lead a driven Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team at our headquarters in Carpinteria, CA. Our SRE team focuses on combining core engineering and software development practices to solve operational challenges. More specifically, our SRE’s work with all of our departments on infrastructure automation, and help scale current tools. We aim to optimize performance throughout our production systems. Our tools of choice are Ruby on Rails, Bash, Go, Puppet, and Terraform to name a few.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering Infrastructure, as the Director of Site Reliability Engineering, you’re a strong leader, decision maker, and an engineer who is obsessed with availability and passionate about automation and scale. In your past, you have designed and implemented applications and infrastructure for large cloud-based enterprise Saas companies. You are a proactive, open communicator and solutions seeker, comfortable with adapting to changing requirements, and have an eagerness to use your technical expertise to facilitate productive discussions.
What you'll do:
- Drive initiatives to build, evolve and support current and growing infrastructure
- Partner with other engineering leaders to guide conversations and best practices in application architecture and cloud infrastructure.
- Confidently communicate technical and non-technical subject matter across the entire organization.
- Empower multiple development and product teams to achieve successful product launches and sprints.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to assess and recommend technologies that support company organizational needs.
- Review and approve proposed development releases and manage the release process.
- Assist in continuing to build and develop a talented Engineering team.
Some examples of our projects:
- An easy to use chat-based deployment tool with all our patterns baked in
- Command line tool to dissect network capture on a Postgres server for use in debugging and optimization
- Using Terraform + Puppet to easily build out complex cloud environments
- Internal and public DNS management tools
- An application cluster deployment tool based on Kubernetes
- An application cluster monitoring, alerting, and directory tool for easy cluster health checks
What we're looking for:
- 10 + years of combined experience in Site Reliability Engineer role and/or an equivalent Infrastructure/DevOps engineering role as well as experience managing large scale cloud-based enterprise infrastructure
- Experience leading, mentoring and providing a strategic vision for an SRE team
- Experience recruiting and developing SRE’s to improve overall deliverability and strategic quality
- Obsession with automation and instrumentation
- Leadership, and the ability to positively influence decision making and open communication.
- Collaboration with the open source community.
Experience in one or more of the following technologies:
- Linux (Debian/Ubuntu a plus)
- MVC Web Frameworks (including Ruby on Rails, Django, Phoenix)
- Webservers (Apache or Nginx)
- Relational Databases (PostgreSQL or MySQL)
- In-Memory Caches (Memcache, Redis)
- Full Text Search (ElasticSearch, Solr)
- Cloud Computing (OpenStack, AWS)
- Config Management (including Puppet, Ansible, Salt)
- Containers and Container Management (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Security Tools (nmap, Burp Suite, Nessus)
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, retail centers, airports, housing complexes and more. At Procore, we have worked hard to create and maintain a culture where you can own your work and are encouraged and given resources to try new ideas. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore. Our headquarters is located on the bluffs above the Pacific Ocean in Carpinteria, CA, with growing offices worldwide. To learn more about our team, click here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: competitive health care plans, unlimited paid vacation, stock options, employee enrichment and development programs, and friends & family events.